• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 W.P

W.P

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:00 AM

Long story short, my home made mill is no longer functional due to a blown motor and I would like to opt for the easy option of buying a mill off another UKPS member. I don't mind if it's a second hand Chinese mill, I just need something that works quite frankly! Anyone got a small mill they don't need any more?

#2 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

Cooperman has some mills, robust and very productive. He can also supply lead media. Order one from him and arrange to meet at the March meetup in Leicestershire.

Creetown ( http://www.gemrock.net/ ) sell and dispatch very cheap mills but with a design load of 3kilos that's not much media and little powder or overload it and burn it out quickly! - Oh! get your own lead media! extra work or cost.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#3 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:46 PM

Those tumblers from Gemrock look like the Beach tumblers. I bought one a few years back and it isn't great, problems with barrels slipping and hopping off etc. managed to modify it to work in the end, but it would have been cheapwer to buy a decent one in the first place!
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#4 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:31 AM

Long story short, my home made mill is no longer functional due to a blown motor and I would like to opt for the easy option of buying a mill off another UKPS member. I don't mind if it's a second hand Chinese mill, I just need something that works quite frankly! Anyone got a small mill they don't need any more?

You'll be much happier keeping the frame and jar but replacing the motor, pulleys, and belt with something that will turn your mill jar at the optimum RPM. Because the new motor won't be sized to fit where the original was mounted, bolt both the motor and frame to a nice piece of lumber and use a nice v-belt between them. If you can source a surplus fractional horsepower motor (1/6HP or more), your upgrade should cost you less than $50 and work 10x better than the original configuration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users