• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 pyroguitarman

pyroguitarman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:10 PM

I've read some articles on the BBC website about people who have had chems which could be potentially explosive, could this be applied to pyrotechnics? Even if we stick to a 100g limit, and explain that we are using it safely to make fireworks? I am concerned that amatuer pyrotechnicians could be labelled along with people who want to make b##bs. P.S sorry if this has already been brought up on this forum :wacko: .

Edited by pyroguitarman, 10 February 2008 - 02:10 PM.

#2 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:26 PM

Ewwww.... Better hide the 1 gallon Jerry can of petrol I have stashed in the car boot then!

I guess if we ever get stranded and run out of fuel we`ll just have to Walk!

BTW, got a Link to that BBC article?

Edited by YT2095, 10 February 2008 - 02:28 PM.

"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom" - Death

#3 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:45 PM

And I have a 2kilo bag of nasty ingredient - produced by Tate and Lyle, and my sugar bowl must be a B**mb factory in production.

unless you have a link and some case law then most things rely on the context.

Sugar and oxidiser and nails in a bag would be more suspicious than sugar and milk with a flask of tea! Obviously there are more incriminating chemicals out there! But one HE precursor is sold in France as a retail laxative!
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#4 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:47 PM

But one HE precursor is sold in France as a retail laxative!

aha! I always wondered where the term "Explosive Diarrhea" came from :P

Edited by YT2095, 10 February 2008 - 02:48 PM.

#5 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:09 PM

But one HE precursor is sold in France as a retail laxative!

Explain, as I know of no laxative than can be used as a HE precursor. If it's unsuitable for the forum then PM me, I'm curious as to what it might be :)

#6 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:12 PM

what`s the betting it`ll be one the "OL`s" like Manitol and the likes.

#7 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:43 PM

Keep it on topic guys. You all know the rules concerning HE and this forum.

#8 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:23 PM

Which is why I will not elaborate on that. Except to say that few chems have uniquely antisocial uses BUT some mixtures do inspire thoughts of bad intent when bought or used together.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#9 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:37 PM

and also why my reply was very Vague (to a non chemist).

I would still like to see these "articles", after doing a search, the only ones I can see are that proposed by Europe and pertaining only to Companies and Firms and the likes.

as far as I`m aware there are NO laws as to what chems you may posses, only if they are above a certain amount (Kgs) or Mixed into a dangerous composition, or employed in some active device with the potential to cause harm, and of course Transuranics aren`t allowed either without a license.

I have no idea about drug laws though, but I expect the same applies, Mixtures or evidence of it`s manufacture.

Edited by YT2095, 10 February 2008 - 05:38 PM.

#10 MMMMMM Pyro

MMMMMM Pyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:08 PM

Things like pure Safrole, Ergotamine etc. (I.E. drug precursors) are illegal to posses no matter what the circumstances...

But as far as I know, the general chemical pyro chemicals are not illegal to posses, unless mixed into a 'dangerous composition'

#11 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:12 PM

well I`m cool then, as 99.999% of all my chems are Inorganic, and the few organic ones I do have are little more than solvents or photography chems for my films :)

edit: Does BEER count? :P

Edited by YT2095, 10 February 2008 - 06:14 PM.

#12 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

For those of us with a curiosity for 'what if' scenarios, the CPS site is informative:

http://www.cps.gov.u.../chapter_a.html

As I understand it, yes, you could possibly be prosecuted for possessing explosive ingredients or even pyro tools 'under suspicious circumstances' within the original Explosives Act. A prosecution however requires sign off by the Attorney General and the pertinent clause on ingredients has been often revised, leading to some confusion. As an experimenter, you would be prosecuted under sections 4 and 5 of the act, probably combined with a Health and Safety action. Most likely, if you are doing nothing dangerous and have no mixed composition in evidence there would be no cause for action.

Under the Terrorism Act 2000 of course you can be prosecuted for anything - money, books, electronics etc. if you are deemed to pose a threat.

Arthur's comment on sugar is actually not so silly. If you look on the CPS site a chap with a 'long lived interest in fireworks' was 'demonstrating his skill' with sugar / chlorate b**bs. Maybe an idiot, but his reward was a three year prison sentence :huh:

All of this shouldn't disuade beginners in amateur pyro. A few hundred grams of KNO3, S and C will take you a long way with minimal risk from the law if you behave sensibly.

Edited by BrightStar, 10 February 2008 - 10:39 PM.

#13 pyroguitarman

pyroguitarman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:54 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/4501650.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/6252894.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6341331.stm

These were a few cases found on the BBC website, they are relevant to the fact that these guys were probably pyros. If anyone finds any further news about the fate of the guys in these cases I would appreciate it if you could post them, thanks! Just type in "Chemicals Arrest" or something similar, and sift through the page. :) . I also understand that dangerous objects can be made out of easily avaliable chemicals, and many everyday chemicals can be explosive under the right conditions. But thats not really the point of this topic. Any replies are appreciated. :D

Edited by pyroguitarman, 10 February 2008 - 11:36 PM.

#14 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:15 PM

There's been a long history of 'what not to do' stories, thankfully not usually involving UKPS members. Blowing the garage doors off, gassing yourself in the shed, burning your house down, scaring the neighbours, injuring the public, getting arrested leading to a house search, leaving unlabeled pyro on display, selling chems to bad guys, ordering from dodgy suppliers or legit companies but lying as to intentions etc. etc. etc.

I don't know of anyone yet in trouble for acting openly and honestly in joining the UKPS, mixing up a few small fountains and testing them immediately in accordance with MSER. Hope I'm not the first B)

Edited by BrightStar, 12 February 2008 - 09:56 PM.

#15 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:47 PM

Under the Act (the 1875 Act that is), it is an offence to possess chemicals that are intended for use in the manufacture of explosives. Owning KNO3 Charcoal and Sulphur and putting them on the same shelf is a tad difficult to explain! and it is an offence for which the burden of proof lies with you. Be warned!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users