20 replies to this topic

#16 Caramanos2000

Caramanos2000

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:02 PM

I know, the total weight with the B-6 Motors could not pass 114g which was quite easy as a 20g flash salute makes a great bang. I do get your point though.

#17 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:58 PM

is it post and risk everyone shooting you down or are we able to help fellow pyro,s ??. If people dont post for risk of asking a daft question then accidents increase. Ive had rockets blow out their end plug lose all lift and land before the flash header goes .I call them cabbage shredders .Ive watched a star fall all the way to earth still lit and bounce into the air having hit the ground. in a remote field these were wonderful to behold . In a display they could have been horrific accidents. only a safe test will determine the outcome ,any batch could have its exception , a nozzle that has a hidden crack or a faster bit of visco the minimum safety standard at all times is to have the clear space to enjoy and study the unexpected developing something new from it "no it wasnt a cato it was my rocket breaking the sound barrier!" enjoy
protodezine@gmail.com

#18 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:43 PM

I wasn't having ago steve. As he wants to use commercial D impulse estes motors, I was trying to give advice on safety. The best way IMO he can test the lifting capability, is using a plastic bag filled with sand and varying the weight, until he knows how much the rocket can safely lift, AND to a safe height...The burst charge on the motors will disperse the sand, and he'll have no heavy weight falling, only the standard, tube on a stick
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#19 Daedalus

Daedalus

Me, I only do Cat. 3

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:09 PM

Estes give the maximum liftoff weight for the D12-3 and D12-0 motors as 396g / 14 Oz so this should give a good staring point for experimentation. As others have said - you don't want to be experimenting with a live payload until you have basic stability and timings resolved.

#20 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:38 PM

any payload in a built up area is high risk rather than a stick you can use a shuttle cock on the base of estes rockets so they come down gently
protodezine@gmail.com

#21 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:12 AM

any payload in a built up area is high risk rather than a stick you can use a shuttle cock on the base of estes rockets so they come down gently

Or use the motors for model rockets,that way you have a parashute :P

I'm sorry but I don't see the point.If the testing area isn't large enough for testing BP rockets, then surely it's not big enough for lifting 2" can shells, even with commercial rockets.I'm only thinking saftey here, for him and others.

Dean
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users