• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 06:08 PM

PVC is used in powder coating...just look it up in the yellow pages and ring a company up. Ask for pvc powder.

#17 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 11:12 AM

I looked yesterday ? and I can?t find a simple formula that just uses carbonate without a nitrate of the same chemical :(

Tell you what, try this formula and tell me if it?s any good:

Potassium Nitrate 35
Strontium Carbonate 20
Magnesium 18
PVC 17

I?m not sure it will produce good colour (or colour at all!) ? but it?s safe to try. Coat the magnesium and bind with 60% isopropyl alcohol.

Sodium nitrate is easy to get ? you can create yellow stars using Sodium Nitrate + magnesium and you don?t need chlorine donor ? but you have to use those stars rather quick as Sodium Nitrate is very hygroscopic.

Another option is to make barium and strontium nitrate ? but that is a different story :)

BigG

#18 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 08:36 PM

Whats with the attack of the '?'s...

With the Mg, dont worry too much about the linseed procedure. Depending on the binder you use, this will perform the function of protecting the metal.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#19 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 08:59 PM

Ok thanks! will have to find a source of PVC now. I should have bought the kclo3 from labpak, but since they like asking "what do you want it for?" I dont fancy putting another order in at the moment. Its only about ?5.90 for 500g aswell. Oxy tabs from the aquarium are kclo3 98% but cost 99p for 25 total weight 10grams, far to expensive. Anyone got a good supplier of PVC or Kclo3?

Got the Rockets going well out of sight now using 63/27/10 kno3/sug/sul 80mmx12mm id so need a nice payload of stars! i have read you can make white stars from kno3/sul/meal 59/30/11 or 42/18/18 has anyone tried these? I guess it will be a dextrin binder.

Also going to try a zinc spreader star soon

Potassium nitrate.................................14
Zinc dust.........................................40
Charcoal..........................................7
Sulfur............................................4

But is it ok to bind with dextrin and WATER while its zinc?

#20 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 12:23 AM

i have tried the white potassium nitrate/s/meal stars a long time ago when i was just 'playing' around with different comps, thought i was bloody seeing things:), obv not, they are pretty good.

#21 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 08:01 AM

Ok thanks! will have to find a source of PVC now. I should have bought the kclo3 from labpak, but since they like asking "what do you want it for?" I dont fancy putting another order in at the moment. Its only about ?5.90 for 500g aswell. Oxy tabs from the aquarium are kclo3 98% but cost 99p for 25  total weight 10grams, far to expensive. Anyone got a good supplier of PVC or Kclo3?

Got the Rockets going well out of sight now using 63/27/10 kno3/sug/sul  80mmx12mm id so need a nice payload of stars! i have read you can make white stars from kno3/sul/meal  59/30/11 or 42/18/18 has anyone tried these? I guess it will be a dextrin binder.

Also going to try a zinc spreader star soon

Potassium nitrate.................................14
Zinc dust.........................................40
Charcoal..........................................7
Sulfur............................................4

But is it ok to bind with dextrin and WATER while its zinc?

No - it's not okay to use water on Zinc. Do you want to burn your house down?!?!

Use NC or high precent isopropyl.

BigG

#22 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 10:14 AM

Managed to get 2oz Sculpey this morning. I believe this can be used as a Chlorine doner! Has anyone used it? or Know how to?

#23 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 11:32 AM

I was asked to qualify my remark about Zinc and water? Yes ? it?s true; many formulas suggest binding spreader stars (containing zinc) with dextrin and water. And yes ? you can do it if you want too. However ? Zinc react with water, Sulfur and Nitrates. The worse is the reaction to water. Under the right conditions your zinc stars will catch fire without you having any flame near them! Very unpleasant if you happen to hold one?

As such, it is consider better practice to use NC for binder in spreader stars. Saying that ? I know plenty of people that where using water and the amount of accidents is quite low.

In any case ? Nitrates will destroy your stars quite quickly. Zinc stars mixed with nitrates show considerable reduce performance after a mare week? So use them strait after making. Good spreader stars make wonderful stars ? but bed spreader stars are also called fire spreading stars :) they fall to the ground still burning.

By the way ? try to use your Zinc in a fountain! It is said to have a bluish flame that look ?liquidly?, although I think this description require considerable imagination.

BigG

As for Sculpy ? you can use it as is! The plasticiser may affect the colour and you might have to adjust your formulae accordingly. Just grit it somehow and knead it into your wetted composition. Good Luck!

#24 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 04:16 PM

Just tried a white star comp kno3/ sul / meal 42/18/18 and amazingly works very well!

#25 lord_dranack

lord_dranack

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 05:30 PM

Does anyone have any idea of what sculpty is made of? If it is a clay would it be best to let it dry and then grind it up?

#26 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 10:43 PM

I'ts a block of soft clay, in normal use you would mould it and bake it in the oven for 20mins but still haven't worked out how best to use it in its raw form for pyro!

#27 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 01:18 PM

Like Matt said in another post today, i made a briliant red the other day. i thought it was fantastic personally. the video i have of it doesnt show up the colour very well which is annoying since it was much better at the scene. tghe formula i used was 60 KCLO3, 20 Sugar and 20 Strontium carbonate.

http://henryhallam.c...ost/redcomp.WMV - this is the link to the video, opens in windows media player.

#28 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 10:05 AM

I found some comps that use Sculpy as an ingredient on Slashandbang.

http://www.slashandb...loredstars.html is the useful page

#29 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 12:16 PM

I found some comps that use Sculpy as an ingredient on Slashandbang.

http://www.slashandb...loredstars.html is the useful page

This was already discussed in the past. Please search before posting.

The formula in question produces a very poor colour. Better get real PVC.

BigG

#30 zanes

zanes

The pimply youth of pyro!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 12:36 PM

Where would I come across powdered mg if Labpak won't sell me anything?
:Message Delivered By Zanes:

All your base are belong to us

:/Message delivered by Zanes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users