Sodium Chlorate.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:20 PM

What ratios and what ingredients did you use? I hope for the sake of your fingers/arms/eyebrows you didnt use sulfur in there!

With the fire suppressant in, you will never really get anything usable. You're best off waiting for your potassium nitrate which is far safer and much more useful.

If you're talking about using the CIA method to make BP, then yes you need alcohol, just for grinding it can be done dry. To make BP which is reliable and consistant from batch to batch you'll need a ball mill, will also stop you from getting blisters from all that manual grinding.

Using a mortar and pestle you can make decent fountains, drivers for wheels and moving fireworks, small rockets etc all of which do not need fast blackpowder.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#17 peanutbutter

peanutbutter

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:28 PM

Hey thanks, could you please help me with some problems i have, it is in the post " black powder for begginers" http://www.pyrosocie...?showtopic=4720 sorry if i shouldnt post urls :( i did use sulpher i used the standerd 75:15:10 for bp but replaced Kn03 with sodium chlorate, thanks

Edited by peanutbutter, 26 May 2009 - 08:31 PM.

#18 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:37 PM

I think most people start messing around with sodium chlorate at first, until they start to read about the subject but there are a lot of accidents caused by it. Its worth noting in future that sulfur makes chlorate mixtures highly sensitive to friction and impact (in fact a very similar mixture is found on match heads), so things like that are best avoided for everything except striker compostions.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#19 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

We had an infamous weed killer called Klorex 55 in Sweden. It contained 55% of sodium chlorate. Young boys used to mix it with sugar...often with devastating results. It was banned in 1985.
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#20 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:31 PM

as a strong solution evaporated off toilet tissue then the toilet tissue was wrapped into cooking foil tubes as a teen ager to make little rockets with erratic flight paths
protodezine@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users