Quickmatch

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:01 AM

Surely the copper wire was only there in the PIC to make it flexible and stay in position? I doubt it would help the burn rate in quickmatch, as the propogation rate of the hot gases should far exceed the heat conduction of the copper.

Could try using a less hygroscopic binder than dextrin too, I think chinese blackmatch will use SGRS.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#32 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:28 AM

The copper wire in PIC was there to conduct heat from the flame front and slow the burn rate, it did also help with bending etc but that was not it's primary purpose.

On a different note. When rolling match pipes with large sheets of paper, you will find it MUCH easier to lay the paper in front of you rotated 45 degrees from normal, so it looks like a diamond shape. Start rolling with the corner nearest to you on to the former, then you are not trying to wind a long leading edge around a long former. It works just as well.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#33 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for all your help I realize now it was the piping made from gummed tape it didn’t go so well that day and there were some small gaps visiable in the spiral. The black match was already made and was the same batch that I used on my previous wheel, I had no problems with the fusing then. On the day I settled for second best and of course I shouldn’t have done that especially concerning fusing.
vic
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#34 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:37 PM

Easy way of speeding up your QM is to make the tubing thicker. 4 or 5 layers thick tubing will vastly increase the burn rate but be aware it also makes more noise when it "pops"

#35 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:27 PM

Never had a problem with gummed tape as such. I often use it 'cos it's really quick and easy to make into pipes.

I use the 2" stuff rolled on a 1/4" rod, so about three turns thickness I guess...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users