27 replies to this topic

#1 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 09:11 AM

hi all, just wondering if anyone had seen/made any nice flash pots and know how they where made?im kinda into these flash pots now and have been just using the standard 70/30 flash with 250 Al on top, gets a nice affect. also iv tryed a weaker lash 50/50 with the 250 Al on top and that was a good affect aswel. could i simply add PVC and strontium carbonate to produce a nice solid red flash?also barium carbonate for green and copper carbonate for blue with pvc?Cheers, Chris.

o and if anyone is interested on my flash pots check my site out in the videos section, put em up a bit later today.

#2 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 01:51 PM

just noticed this would maybe fit in better on the SFX forum :unsure:

#3 Matt

Matt

Another Aussie Trying To take Over

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 02:25 PM

Off the top of my head I think you need a magnesium based flash powder to get most colours. I think i read some comp's somewhere where they were as simple as barium,strontium nitrate+ Mg. But then again its been a while and im probably wrong. Im guessing that Adam would be the guy to get the answers from.
in short, No it isnt that simple :P

-Matt
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#4 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 07:11 PM

k cheers,thats what i thought. il wait for some other comments from more experienced knowledge with SPX to conclude my question.(hey Adam:))

#5 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 10:17 PM

Hi. I'd rather not type much at the moment due to a poorly head, arm, chest and leg due to a motobike accident :(

Flashpot formulas can be quite revered secrets, because they need to look nice, be impressive and be safe, so I'm not going to reveal any of my recepies, but the way to go is almost always Mg. Mixing different oxidisers helps control the speed, size, intensity etc. At the moment I'm working on 4" flashpots, and have managed to create a beautiful fireball-like Mg based flash.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#6 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 10:59 PM

ok cheers, will need to find some Mg powder now then. o yeh and wtf happend with you on a bike accident?pretty nastly things are motor bikes, my dad lost his finger and had 1 sown back on and my bro went over the top of one and broke and fractures an unimaginable amount of bones!

Edited by Pyromaster2003, 27 August 2003 - 11:31 PM.

#7 Matt

Matt

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 11:35 PM

Hmm, looks like we're gonna need a black board and some long fingernails to get these out of adam ;) Sorry to hear that adam, hope you heal up nice 'n quick.

-Matt
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#8 Gor

Gor

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 08:09 PM

I think we just need to keep posting unbelivably dangerous formulas we are trying until he realises it is his public duty to tell us a little more. After all we keep being told what a dangerous subject this is......

Its sure one I would like to know more about.

So how about just giving us one incy little recipie for say a nice green flash and we can take it from there................ ;)

#9 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for all the get-well-soon messages. I dont know any formulae off the top of my head (how sad would that be!?) but I'll post some when I get back to work. My ultimate goal would be a blue-white flash to emulate arc-welding...

#10 Gor

Gor

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 11:31 PM

I wonder if that would be as dangerous to look at. An arc welder pushes the ligt emission well into the UV spectrum.

Ever had arc eye? It must count as one of the most unpleasant things that I have ever done to myself. Its like having your eyes full of razor blades and barbed wire. So I now keep myself strictly behind the visor.

#11 Matt

Matt

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 01:48 AM

Its strange how light can make eyes fee like crap. I must have only had a minor case because i remember it being like falling over face first on a beach with my eyelids stapled open :(

-Matt

#12 mrpyromx

mrpyromx

Pyro Hobbiest

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 02:42 AM

i couldnt have said it any better matt. oh god does it hurt.my wife laughed at me for days after that. now everytime i go out to weld somthing she says something smart and giggles.

#13 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 11:29 AM

ye its happend to me before got some out the corner of my eye and couldnt see for 2 days, couldnt even sleep.

#14 Gor

Gor

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 08:49 PM

God those nights are awful, each time you are nodding off your eyes scrape together and you jerk upright in agony.

#15 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 09:34 PM

Yeah.. why are eyes so painful. I think I told you lot about the time I had something in a vice, I was pulling as hard as I could and the pair of pliers slipped and the handle poked me in the eye very forcefully. I went dizzy, felt weak and nearly fainted. Nearly as bad as when I was booted in the balls by the full force of someone practicing taekwando. My whole body ached, I got headache, got a high temperature and couldnt walk for nearly a day.

RE the simulated arc welder... I dont think a blue pyro comp will ever compare to a proper welder (I hope not!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users