• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 skyrocket

skyrocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:54 AM

i would like to ask, what is the general rate that firers should get paid please

#2 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:35 PM

American $, but I think you'll get the idea

http://blogs.payscal...echnician_.html
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#3 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:45 PM

American $, but I think you'll get the idea

http://blogs.payscal...echnician_.html

I think it is anywhere from about 10% to 14% of the total cost of the show, depending on level of involvement. That is only as the lead (supervisor). I don't think apprentices get paid, at least not where I'm from.

#4 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:51 PM

LOTS depends on how competent you are and how confident the proprietor is in you. Also is it a quick 1 hour rig and fire and then just take the tubes away, or is it a 10 hour day with a full litter pick to completely clear?

On a big show there is a possibility that the lowest assistant firers will not get paid but will get some experience to progress later. For a commercial contract the look at the minimum wage rules and start there
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#5 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:36 PM

Only a 10 hour day? that's a bit lightweight isn't it? :glare:
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#6 pyromania2

pyromania2

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:42 PM

i would like to ask, what is the general rate that firers should get paid please

Whilst there isn't a set rate as far as I know, the average rates are between £90 - £125 dependant on experience and responsibility.
Cat 4 trained hold BPA 1&2

#7 skyrocket

skyrocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:32 AM

LOTS depends on how competent you are and how confident the proprietor is in you. Also is it a quick 1 hour rig and fire and then just take the tubes away, or is it a 10 hour day with a full litter pick to completely clear?

On a big show there is a possibility that the lowest assistant firers will not get paid but will get some experience to progress later. For a commercial contract the look at the minimum wage rules and start there

most of the displays are a couple of hours rig and full clean up,

#8 skyrocket

skyrocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:33 AM

Whilst there isn't a set rate as far as I know, the average rates are between £90 - £125 dependant on experience and responsibility.

thanks

#9 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:51 PM

anywhere from about 10% to 14% of the total cost of the show

I think you will find thats the TOTAL staff budget, not an individuals rate :)

#10 skyrocket

skyrocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:17 AM

ok thanks i dont want to seem like i am in it for just the money as this isnt the case as i love fireworks, just got to be careful these days with the cost of fuel getting to these events just making sure i dont lose out thats all, which you can understand i am sure.

#11 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:49 AM

These days it's important to have at least a written invitation onto the firing site -OK just an email to say come on saturday! If yu are invited into a work place then the employer's insurance should cover you as an invited visitor, if you are employed then there should be insurance as a worker. If there is no invitation or contract then there is a grey area. There is also the minimum wage legislation to consider, If an employer doesn't provide the minimum rate of pay then they start to commit offences in law. Most recruited firers of riggers are likely to be seen as casual employees rather than self employed people.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#12 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:04 PM

Yes I think that is the case, but on smaller shows there is usually only 1 supervisor and apprentices are rarely paid.

#13 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:36 PM

yes, seems that over the pond things are organised slightly differently with the Lead Firer being given the responsibility and the resources to hire/organise the crew for the display, so their "rates" are for the entire team.

In this country its seems the norm for the actual company to organise the crew and for them to set a daily rate for "helpers" and a higher rate for the "lead firer" :)

#14 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:39 PM

yes, seems that over the pond things are organised slightly differently with the Lead Firer being given the responsibility and the resources to hire/organise the crew for the display, so their "rates" are for the entire team.

In this country its seems the norm for the actual company to organise the crew and for them to set a daily rate for "helpers" and a higher rate for the "lead firer" :)

I'm not sure how it is done on larger shows here, if all the supervisors are paid or not. Most likely some of them are , and as you said the lead being paid the most. As for apprenticing, the main requirement is volunteering at shows.

#15 skyrocket

skyrocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:10 PM

I'm not sure how it is done on larger shows here, if all the supervisors are paid or not. Most likely some of them are , and as you said the lead being paid the most. As for apprenticing, the main requirement is volunteering at shows.

ok thanks, what if you have taken the BPA exam and passed it you should get paid after this as i am aware shouldnt you ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users