• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:38 PM

MgAl is made by dissolving Mg in molten Al so there is both the ratio and the complete solution to consider. If it was incompletely dissolved the Mg will be pure in parts of the mix and alloyed in other parts of the mix.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#17 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:06 PM

MgAl is made by dissolving Mg in molten Al so there is both the ratio and the complete solution to consider. If it was incompletely dissolved the Mg will be pure in parts of the mix and alloyed in other parts of the mix.

Yep

This is from a commercial European source for us pyro's!!!

I assume that it must have been alloyed properly as I have now tested the alloy from several containers and the results were consistent for all of the containers.

Yes it will be interesting to see what effect this alloy has on the glitter effect. Although it will be a few days before I will get a chance to dichromate coat the metal.

D
Phew that was close.

#18 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:19 PM

Looking through Shimizu's coating table, it looks like you'd be OK using linseed with KNO3 and Sr(NO3)2 - hence avoiding the orange death stuff, which has to be good.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#19 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:56 PM

Looking through Shimizu's coating table, it looks like you'd be OK using linseed with KNO3 and Sr(NO3)2 - hence avoiding the orange death stuff, which has to be good.

Yep I did consider coating it in Linseed oil, maybe next time when I have a little more time.

Well to put this to bed, I dichromate treated some MgAl last night and I have made a batch of Win #1 today (dextrin subbed for SGRS) and so far after 20 minutes there is no evidence of the mixture heating up.
Phew that was close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users