182 replies to this topic

#106 Flashy

Flashy

Safety First!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 04:24 PM

We (admins/mods) are having a meeting to discuss the setting up of the BPS soon. Watch this space.

View Post

I've been watching this space since 20 Jan 2004 now. :P

Previous post

Edited by Flashy, 29 March 2005 - 04:27 PM.

#107 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:37 PM

This is a bit Off-topic

But are there any obligations for BPS members ?

#108 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:40 AM

Previous post

View Post

Very Funny. If you wish to take on trying to do this (and I can reassure you - you have NO IDEA what we are dealing with) you are more then welcome. It's very easy to pass criticism.

Maybe Richard post was not properly worded - The team has been discussing this for a long time, but we feel that we are at final hurdle, and the next meeting will get the BPS as an established company.

Edited by BigG, 30 March 2005 - 07:45 AM.

#109 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:52 AM

This is a bit Off-topic

But are there any obligations for BPS members ?

View Post

I'm not sure what you mean. When the BPS forms as a company - then there will be certain registration obligations, which will then allow members to have access to some resources.

I think forum members real test will come after the establishment of the company - if they join the BPS, they will be giving us real power to have conversations with the HSE and other governments institutions - but if they rather "wait till something will happen" then probably nothing will happened.

I have been trying to set meetings with members in some places in the country and received very limited response. This is very disappointing considering the fact that members claim to want this organization to be of some power, but show very little interest to be a part or discuss it's activities. I hope this will change after the BPS registration, because if it will not, we will just see the hobby and the private home displays being squashed over time.

#110 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:34 PM

Previous post

View Post

You have NO idea how hard this is. These things take time. None of us are paid to do this, we try to make what little time we have to get something off the ground. This is not something you can lash together over a couple of weekends! O.K. ?

#111 pymp

pymp

Trying to move into SFX..

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:38 AM

This sounds like a great idea, I live in St Albans (hertfordshire). I think if we got say 20 members of this forum to contribute towards the money we need, and also set up a few fundraisers such as jumble sales, runs etc
"There are many old pyros
There are many bold pyros
But there are not very many
Old, Bold Pyros"
- author unknown

#112 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:38 PM

I'm with Rich, you really don't have any idea how hard it is to set up anything like this. It gets a little demoralizing after a while, you tend to find new things that need doing at a faster rate than you are sorting out the already long list.

Hold your horses pymp.

On the club action, it would take a little more than 20 people digging deep into their pockets to start up a factory. Also publicly sponcered runs might be best avoided in the mean time, no member of the public will sponser you for this, unless a club/factory already exists and we were doing some charity action like providing free displays for disabled children etc. It's a little way off yet, unless someone has about ?2m knocking about that they don't really need.

#113 pymp

pymp

Trying to move into SFX..

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:37 PM

hmm.. i guess your right there.. I don't seem to be posting very intelligent post atm. sorry bout that everyone.
"There are many old pyros
There are many bold pyros
But there are not very many
Old, Bold Pyros"
- author unknown

#114 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:57 PM

Unless we can produce as volunteers a solicitor, a chartered accountant and a chartered company secretary from amongst the forum members, and several members prepared to risk ?10k EACH then the current plan of waiting for the present admins to do the work as they can afford it is poor but the BEST available option.

Look in the UKRA Display post to find the next open oportunity to meet the current leaders. The show will be fused and fired by the established team. There will be some opportunity to talk about the show, the fireworks, and the BPS, with some of the committee during the weekend. IF time and circumstances permit there MAY be an oportunity for a brief visual conducted tour of the fused show before firing.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#115 GuiltyCol

GuiltyCol

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 07:37 AM

Just spent a long time reading through all this (wtf am I doing up so early on a Saturday morning?!?), seems all very exciting, and extremely time consuming. Keep up the good work you guys.

#116 riptheory101

riptheory101

Got a Light!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:57 PM

http://www.hse.gov.u...sives/index.htm

Some usefull information from the HSE

#117 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:18 PM

Hmmm, I think that one can be debated somewhat, as we have in the article that BigG refers to. As I see it the HSE are not too bothered if we experiment with <100g of composition, even if we are not a laboratory etc. I seriously doubt making a small amount of blackpowder will result in the flying squad paying you a visit and shoving an MP5 up your nose...

Just my 2 pence.

I would be interested to read case law on this, not easy to find on the net (spent many hours).
Do you have any references?

Suspecting that most of this information is on subscription Legal case law sites.

I agree with your comment on HSE/Police lack of interest, they'd be wasting a lot of resources on a pretty obscure fire risk.

Simon

#118 mr_pyro

mr_pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:26 PM

Ive managed to scroll through the thread :D and it sounds brilliant if something like this could take off! There are many pro`s and con`s and many difficult desicions to be made. I would back this also as the shed isnt really a nice place to dabble! Just being able to meet others who are into he same frame of mind would be a change! Sitting in the hills of north wales ive got loads of space to experiment and no nosey neighbours :D

#119 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:47 PM

I'm sure we can take steps in the right direction - but for this to happend we need people to become members of the society (not the forum). Only with large numbers we have sagnificant powers.

#120 catweasel

catweasel

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:14 PM

is the bps still accepting new members?, i have filled in the online form a couple of times but heard nothing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users