7 replies to this topic

#1 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:03 AM

I see this forum doesn't have a dedicated sub-forum for pyrotechnic safety on both lighting and building fireworks. I am wondering if a forum may be opened dedicated to the safety of constructing fireworks, chemical safety, workshop measures and the safety of setting off fireworks for both new and old members of the forum. This forum could list what you should be doing when within your workshop like risk assessments, listing what you should do when things go wrong etc (examples can be seen on the HSE website). Other topics can be:

* Workshop safety measures.
* Working with chemicals safely.
* Disposing of toxic chemicals.
* Stories of accidents that have occurred due to chemicals and fireworks.
* Assembling fireworks safely.
* Equipment needed to keep you protected while working with fireworks and the different equipment needed at different stages of development.
* Firework risk assessments to list all that could go wrong including both storage, making and firing.
* Storage safety practices.
* Safety practices when lighting fireworks, this should be common sense but should still be listed.

Any suggestions or ideas?
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#2 dogsbody

dogsbody

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:38 AM

Sounds good to me, obviousley the fireqwork code needs to be adhered to!

#3 rr22

rr22

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:04 AM

Good idea,
but as far as I understand it we (UKPS) can't be seen as giving "How to's" it's a fine line.
A thread or sticky on peoples experience with P.P.E. and good practise with chems.
including disposal would certainly be useful,maybe going through the archives and collecting safety related posts could be a start but this would need some work,I wouldn't mind giving a bit of time to this,the decision is of course down to the mods.
As far lighting stuff I tend to rely on 3' of visco, but I may be old fashioned in this.

Edited by rr22, 16 October 2008 - 12:04 AM.

#4 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:53 PM

Yes, a good practice safety forum is a great idea!.

Perhaps each of the headings you mention should be given a seperate page for ideas to talk about.

Workshop Safety Measures;-

1, cladded walls in plywood with fixings made of brass screws, lino flooring, wooden benches/work tops, wooden cuboards, plywood storage boxes, window blinds to help control sunlight/heat in your work area, approved sealed lighting with sealed light switches.

2, thick narrow polycarbonate glass (lexan)/ plexiglas screen to sit behind for mixing compounds, dust pan & brush, sheets of newspaper.

3, safety goggles, cotton clothing, leather/rubber soled foot wear, welding gloves, non sparking tools.

4, first aid kit, eyewash, clingfilm for wrapping burns, bucket of sand, fire extinguisher, fire blanket,

Im sure there is more that i ve missed!

#5 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:03 AM

The major problem is that it would likely become a discussion of professional's accidents by un-qualified incompetent amateurs in a public place (here!) and could put lots of wrong ideas into the heads of the general public. Also it is very likely to be discussion of sub judice matters possibly bringing the forum managers into legal issues.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#6 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:37 PM

Point taken Arthur (and forgive me, but I maybe wrong in saying this), but I can`t see why `Pyrotechnists` idea/proposal shouldn`t be at least discussed extensively,.............surely part of the whole idea of having a safety part of the forum is to at least talk about ways of improving safety/work practices, or to learn from each others experiences (professional or un-qualified), or to come up with ideas for the benefit of the UKPS and its forum members when making representations to other professional bodies and the public alike, rather than curtail to big brother or the culture of fear through being sued out of free speech.

If there are undesirables using this site for deliberate illegal means, then the forum monitors hopefully will take appropriate action accordingly.

If our intentions are honorable then we have nothing to fear!

#7 rr22

rr22

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:30 PM

To address Arthur's concerns,
maybe we could limit the thread to general "good house keeping" and safe handling/disposal of hazardous material without getting to forensic over incidents/accidents in the professional sphere?

#8 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:38 PM

I will look into the possibility of a new forum. I'll be taking all comments on-board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users