#31 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:40 AM

I thought only single shot ones were?

Single tube ones were banned in 2004. Multitube airb0mbs are still on sale, but require this new "pyromesh" packaging, or they are classed as 1.3G.

However, those nightstar ones are a whistle and crackle effect, not an airb0mb - which typically is just a bang.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#32 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

But the pack and salesman said otherwise....... hmmmmm

it is normal for packaging to state "ejects stars and bangs" it's a generic description so I certainly wouldn't rely on that :)

Basically what you have bought is a single shot roman candle and I will bet money on the effects NOT being "airbomb" like, as for the salesman - well I guess his pitch worked eh :)

#33 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:39 PM

If they are new reg, they will certainly have changed- these were all flash based effects! However, stock may well still be old regs - often it actually says the year on the back- if not, on the carton it came in it will say the year.

I hope they haven't changed to much, I will check the dates when I buy.

Also anyone had any experience with Ion Storm and Lucifers Laughter from Bright Star?

The videos of all the items are on that Manchester Fireworks site, I wonder how old the videos are? They have Bright Stars newest logo on, not the older one so that could be a clue, or just trickery. :unsure:

And in Big D's they have the videos showing on a TV, with Bright Stars 2008 catalogue on the desk with all the items in.

#34 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:44 PM

I think Bright Star are now "Star Burst?"

#35 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:00 PM

I think Bright Star are now "Star Burst?"

Thats what I thought untill I saw a big range of Bright Star Fireworks in Big D's and a 'Bright Star Fireworks 2008 Range' Catalogue. :blink:

#36 Ben-J

Ben-J

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:29 PM

a local newsagent is stocking alot off bright star and tnt stuff.

I will be buying some off there stuff.

Although some off it has been repackaged.

#37 minted1234

minted1234

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:06 PM

I remember Brothers doing some cakes called 'Dynasty's', there were 3 different types if I remember rightly, and quite inpressive if 2 were fired at the same time, and were quite cheap too.

I've bought as much as my wife will let me now. I've told her not to be so selfish, I mean after all it's for the kids right. :rolleyes:

All my stuff is Men Shun. I do have a Fireworks International stockist local but for the prices i'm picking up the MenShun stuff for, I cant justify spending the extra.

1x Obsession
1x Night Warrior
1x Stardust 4 the kids
1x Darkness Invader
1x Symphony in the sky
1x Thunderclap
1x Autumn Leaves
1x Fountain Mountain also 4 the kids
1x pack 5x Mini Mines
1x Spy Fighter
1x screaming Scarabs
1x Atomic Bomber
1x Proton Cannon
1x Lunar Cannon
1x Catalina rocket pack
1x Kittyhawk rocket pack
1x End of the World.....to finish with.

Just wondering as well, all of this is old stock, everything is marked 2007 with a few bits even 2006, how much of this is going to be obtainable next year. Is it worth buying a couple to store (safely) to have something next year.
Anyone know which ones are now obsolete due to the new regs?

#38 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:39 PM

I remember Brothers doing some cakes called 'Dynasty's', there were 3 different types if I remember rightly, and quite inpressive if 2 were fired at the same time, and were quite cheap too.

I've bought as much as my wife will let me now. I've told her not to be so selfish, I mean after all it's for the kids right. :rolleyes:

All my stuff is Men Shun. I do have a Fireworks International stockist local but for the prices i'm picking up the MenShun stuff for, I cant justify spending the extra.

1x Obsession
1x Night Warrior
1x Stardust 4 the kids
1x Darkness Invader
1x Symphony in the sky
1x Thunderclap
1x Autumn Leaves
1x Fountain Mountain also 4 the kids
1x pack 5x Mini Mines
1x Spy Fighter
1x screaming Scarabs
1x Atomic Bomber
1x Proton Cannon
1x Lunar Cannon
1x Catalina rocket pack
1x Kittyhawk rocket pack
1x End of the World.....to finish with.

Just wondering as well, all of this is old stock, everything is marked 2007 with a few bits even 2006, how much of this is going to be obtainable next year. Is it worth buying a couple to store (safely) to have something next year.
Anyone know which ones are now obsolete due to the new regs?

a lot of 2007 menshun stock was already new reg the 2006 should be old reg though

#39 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:48 PM

I went in Big D's in Preston before and got Bright Stars Bunker Buster 25 shot barrage, The Slammer 25 Shot barrage, Time Warp 55 shot barrage and the Volcanic Meltdown fountains.

Bunker Buster and Slammer were half the RRP at £4.99 each and seem pretty heavy and legit to me. Volcanic Meltdown seem ok (had them before and like them) and were half RRP at £4.49 per pack of 5.

However Time Warp was half the RRP at £9.99 and seems very window dressed to me, quite light and you can clearly see a big empty hole in the middle, with tubes of various sizes around it.

It says on the back; stars, bangs, whistles and showers of sparks (so it had better do that!), it's a sort of fountain/aerial barrage from this video, but I don't think it will be the same as this video sadly. :angry:

http://www.mancheste...products_id=386

What do you think? I think it has changed with new regs. <_< Whereas the other stuff seems ok.

Also The Slammer seems to have Bright Stars old logo all over it so could be old reg, Bunker Buster has the newer logo, but they both seems ok and not window dressed at all.

Pictures...

Bunker Buster.

Posted Image

Bunker Buster top.

Posted Image

Window dressed Warp 55 shot.

Posted Image

Top.

Posted Image

Slammer.

Posted Image

Slammer top.

Posted Image

Volcanic Meltdown.

Posted Image

Edited by Prestonboi, 28 October 2008 - 06:37 PM.

#40 Craig

Craig

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:22 AM

I got my fireworks from jordans in leamington spa they have a website www.jordansfireworks.co.uk

they sell HERCULES at £50 i got 2 myself, most of there stuff is priced very well

i also got

MENSHUN FESTIVAL PACK
END OF THE WORLD NEW SPEC X 2
HERCULES X 2
CHAOS
ANNUAL GALA X 2
GUNPOWDER TREASON AND PLOT
WILD RIVER RIDE
FREE FALL
MAGIC CARPET X 3
BROTHERS CHOICE

THEN SOME FOR THE KIDS

CRAZY KLOCK
JUMPING JELLY BEANS
AURORA BORELIS
VULCAN CONE
BLACK CAT CONE X 2

FIERY EYE
DIAMOND SUN WHEEL

AND A ROCKET PACK WITH ABOUT 50 MIXED SIZE ROCKETS

Edited by Craig, 30 October 2008 - 02:23 AM.

#41 MiniChris

MiniChris

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:51 PM

it is normal for packaging to state "ejects stars and bangs" it's a generic description so I certainly wouldn't rely on that :)

Basically what you have bought is a single shot roman candle and I will bet money on the effects NOT being "airbomb" like, as for the salesman - well I guess his pitch worked eh :)

Fired one off to test....... what a load of crap! Glad they were dirt cheep!!! lol!!

#42 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:08 PM

New boy here.
Great to be among fellow incurable squibo's !! :rolleyes:
I've been having firework parties on or around the 5th for many years and have been impressed by the quality of the fireworks made available to joe public particularly over the last 10 years or so. As I live in Scotland the web has certainly made quality stuff more accessable to me even although I still get a bit nervy waiting on my deliveries arriving safely each year.
I normally buy online from Fireworks International / Jordans / Jubilee / Somervilles (Scotland)

Here's my haul for this year ;

Moonlight Eruption
Planets Colliding
Battle Station Mars x2
Naval Bombardment x2
Spiders of Death x2
Devastation x2
White Water Rapids x2
Lucifers Dragons x2
Chaos
Colossus
Overload

Still to decide on rockets but picked up a 12 pack from Rage Fireworks (Glasgow) - never tried them before, anybody heard of them ? Oh and I got a chinese lantern as a novelty - a first.

Have to say that my audience enjoy predominantly loud gear so the jury will be out this year on what has traditionally been enjoyable fair from Men Shun, BlackCat/Standard, Fireworks International et al. Interesting to note that despite all the changes to the regs eg, 120 db limit, the mail order sites are still advertising "loud bangs", "very loud reports", "Thunderous finalies" etc... The casings themselves are also still carrying these descriptions. What are everyones thoughts on this ? It could be construed as contravening Trade Description Act guidelines ?? :unsure: Hope not !

#43 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:01 AM

Have to say that my audience enjoy predominantly loud gear so the jury will be out this year on what has traditionally been enjoyable fair from Men Shun, BlackCat/Standard, Fireworks International et al. Interesting to note that despite all the changes to the regs eg, 120 db limit, the mail order sites are still advertising "loud bangs", "very loud reports", "Thunderous finalies" etc... The casings themselves are also still carrying these descriptions. What are everyones thoughts on this ? It could be construed as contravening Trade Description Act guidelines ?? :unsure: Hope not !

Firstly, Hello!

Regarding the 120 db limit, that is still bloody loud- it just means the REALLY loud stuff is gone. Most of the fireworks that have the loud bang effect are transported in "Pyromesh" in order to comply with the transportaton regulations.

Also there are still a fair few items around that were made before the regs changed, so the old bang effects are still here, at least for now.

I wouldn't worry about the phrase "loud bangs" breaking the Trade Descriptions act, as the term "loud" is very subjective. Just be smart, and be aware of what is what- IE which fireworks are the loud ones! Many new spec items use some nice effects, but the bangs have gone. Moonlight Eruption that you mentioned is a very good example of this- some really nice mixed effects- crossettes, running fans and some nice rich colours and crackle combinations.

Edited by David, 30 October 2008 - 12:03 AM.

#44 SamCT

SamCT

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:26 PM

Just bought some tonight. :)

2x Golden Lion - Black Panther Rockets. £18.99 each
2x Cosmic - Crackle B0mb (mine) £15.99 each
1x Cosmic - Armageddon (cake) £12.99
1x Cosmic - Super Nova (Fan Barrage) £18.99
1x Flash Fireworks - Star Enforcer (20 Rocket pack) £16.99
1x Golden Lion - Skykings (roman candle 4 pack) £4.99

1x standard - daredevil missile cake £14.99
1x Standard - high fidelity rocket pack - FREE!

quite please at the moment.. yet more to come :)

#45 MiniChris

MiniChris

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:49 PM

Here is my rocket collection... rest to follow soon :)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users