• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:44 PM

I hope several of you managed to cope without the site / forum for most of the day today ;-) Looks like we maxed out our allocated bandwidth for the whole month earlier on. A big thanks to our brilliant web hosts for very kindly allocating additional bandwidth to see us through until the end of the month. Each time we get more allocation we manage to max it out! That's growth for you I guess.

#2 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:02 AM

i really missed it last night :o , it felt like there was something missing in my life. :D
May i ask what is "bandwidth"and how you use it up?, Ive heard the expression before but don't know what it is precisely.

#3 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:48 AM

If you imagine that each time a request to view our pages is received by the server, it must honour that request and serve the appropriate pages along with supporting files like images, video, scripting etc. It costs money to push large volumes of data down the fibre optic cables and the associated infrastructures. For this reason many hosts place limits on just how much data can be allowed to flow, without additional expense to the customer.

Technically we did not exceed our bandwidth allowance, we exceeded our data transfer allowance. Bandwidth is the capacity of the medium, i.e. the cable and the volume of data that may pass through it in a given unit of time.

To give you an idea we shifted 10 Gigabytes of data out the door this month already. Given we have relatively few media files on our website e.g. images, that data is mainly text! - this forum!

#4 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:09 PM

haa! i see, thanks for the explanation and thank you for a great forum Richard, ive learned a great deal over the last 14 months, and made lots of new Friends :) here in england and around the globe to, think i'd be lost without it now ^_^

Edited by chris m, 25 October 2008 - 12:10 PM.

#5 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

Due to a DNS reconfiguration and installation of an SSL certificate, some of you may have been temporarily unable to access the site today. Chances are if you are reading this, then you have nothing to worry about :).

#6 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:50 PM

digger...my turn for the panic attack LOL.........Did anyone get a youtube vid on the main page called 'Badger song' ?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#7 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:05 PM

The box we are hosted on is called 'Badger' :). A novel holding page!

For those who missed out..

#8 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:23 PM

:lol: :lol: .....WTF. I didn't play it (thought it was spam, virus :rolleyes: )....Oh well, where back now :)
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users