• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#46 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 04:31 PM

Could you stop discussing this composition please. I would strongly advise not using it.

#47 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 06:37 PM

If anybody is interested they can watch one of my rockets in action.

Don't look at the shabby camerawork by the way, hey it's my first movie.
I must add that it looks not as good on camera then I thougt.

Tonight I will try some red and blue collored stars with H3 burstcharge.
Offcouse a movie will be made of this launch.

Here's the link by the wayJerronimo's first vid thanks again BigG.
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#48 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 06:22 AM

Nice, love the trail

Stuart

#49 Matt

Matt

Another Aussie Trying To take Over

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 11:52 AM

Just for the sake of rivalry, my skyrocket
thats one of my 12mm rockets with a film can sized payload. First rocket like that ive ever made. I wont have so much delay next time, that way it wont get the chance to arch over like that.

Aside from that i liked your vid, looking forward to seeing your other rockets. Adios.

-Matt
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#50 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 04:59 PM

Nice one Matt!!!

I must say it looks better than mine :angry: hahahaha

What kind of stars/burstcharge did you use?
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#51 Matt

Matt

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 02:12 AM

I was upsett with my stars to be honest, they were old charcoal to white stars. The charcoal part was very faint and the white wasnt really white, they had been sitting in the shell for ages. I used home made BP for break I dont kow why it broke so even, that part is beyond me :blink:
Glad to see you liked it.

-Matt
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#52 Bub

Bub

PyroGuy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 09:06 AM

Well, first your rockets are miles better than mine.

The first couple used pulverone - but it seems to burn far too quickly, and they have a tendancy to blow the chokes out.

This morning I decided to try a chlorate mixture (KClO3 65%, Sucrose 18%, Charcoal 17%).

Bloody hell, what a bang ! :o

The 'rocket' got about 3 feet off the ground then blew itself to bits - and I mean bits. Even the stick was destroyed ;-)

Clearly this mix is of no use as a propellant - probably make a fine burst charge though.

Ho hum ,back to the drawing board.

Anyone fancy a quick trip to Brighton to show me how it's done ?

Edited by Bub, 25 October 2003 - 09:09 AM.

#53 Matt

Matt

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 10:01 AM

We could probably help you on here if you give us the dimensions of your rocket, nozzle and core.

-Matt

#54 Bub

Bub

PyroGuy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 10:59 AM

Matt - thanks, I'll post the dimensions / weights later when I have my notes to hand.

I've made 6 more ( :blink: ) - with varying mixtures - all in identical tubes & with the same chokes (using 4 different charges).

I'll fire them tonight - it's easier to see what's going on when it's darker.

Will post some photos (& videos if they're any good) on my site with a link from here.

Should be good for a laugh ...

Wish me luck.

...Bub.

Edited by Bub, 25 October 2003 - 11:00 AM.

#55 Matt

Matt

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 12:42 PM

It would be cool if you set them off on that big hill which you can see on the webcams on your site, everyone tune in to "a day in the life of bub" the funny new show about a man and his rocket attempts :P Hope all goes well with them, good luck!

-Matt

#56 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 12:57 PM

Well, first your rockets are miles better than mine.

The first couple used pulverone - but it seems to burn far too quickly, and they have a tendancy to blow the chokes out.

This morning I decided to try a chlorate mixture (KClO3 65%, Sucrose 18%, Charcoal 17%).

Bloody hell, what a bang !  :o

The 'rocket' got about 3 feet off the ground then blew itself to bits - and I mean bits. Even the stick was destroyed ;-)

Clearly this mix is of no use as a propellant - probably make a fine burst charge though.

Ho hum ,back to the drawing board.

Anyone fancy a quick trip to Brighton to show me how it's done ?

Bub, Trust me - simple BP does it. Go with 12mm id and 3-4 mm choke. Keep your tube short - about 5 cm for your first try - it will climb a good 100 feet. Make sure your stick is of good size - about 50cm length minimum. You don't even need a spindle - just drill the choke using a drill bit and your fingers (not a drill).

Forgive my remark - but using chlorate mix for your rocket when you did not even get the bp one going is not smart. Also, make sure your tube is of good thickness. At least 3mm wall.

BigG

#57 Bub

Bub

PyroGuy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 03:20 PM

Yes, not smart, I know ... I'd read Jeronimo used it, had a load lying around and thought I'd give it a go <doh> !

My tubes are about 190mm - a good deal longer than the size you suggest - I'll make some smaller ones and see if that helps.

Thanks for the tip(s) !

...Bub B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users