387 replies to this topic

#301 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:23 PM

I think the chloride concentration is getting low because the electrolyte is becoming darker with graphite particles. Ill let it settle and decant and filter tomorrow and then see what potassium chlorate i can get out of it.

#302 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:36 PM

normally you`ll notice a shift in the smell also, it`s hard to impossible to describe, but it`s Not like chlorine gas, it`s important to give it a good stir every now and then too.
colloidal graphite is common when the anode shreds and is not an indication of completion.

remember also to bring the soln up to a good heat for a while too, you`ll get a better yield of Chlorate as some of the OCL converts to chlorate.
"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom" - Death

#303 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:17 AM

I got around to filtering and adding the KCl solution, forgot that the solutions should have been cold (i added them when they were hot) and it seemed to have worked as i could see little square crystals forming.

#304 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:29 AM

Im going to assume that it is contaminated with sodium and potassium chloride due to me using a hot saturated solution of it in the first place. Does this pose any problems (aside from shitty product) i cant imagine there would be any extra instability's

Over all it was a crappy run but i have a pretty good idea what to expect if i get a better anode (if ever)

Guess it might be ok for flash but useless for stars

Edited by marble, 14 August 2007 - 11:29 AM.

#305 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:44 AM

Got it drying in the toaster oven in the shed, will post some photos soon

#306 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:21 PM

Burn tests confirm shitloads of contaminates, when mixed with sugar it burns with a deep orange flame and the burn rate is slow

#307 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:15 PM

WOW! I don`t think I`de be using a Toaster oven!
and it`s probably not a good idea to make a Chlorate based flash either, especially since your "tests" clearly show contaminants!

it sounds like you have sodium ions still in there also.

I`m sure someone else here that knows much more than me in compositions will be able to advise you better than I can.
"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom" - Death

#308 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:28 PM

WOW! I don`t think I`de be using a Toaster oven!
and it`s probably not a good idea to make a Chlorate based flash either, especially since your "tests" clearly show contaminants!

it sounds like you have sodium ions still in there also.
I`m sure someone else here that knows much more than me in compositions will be able to advise you better than I can.

Normally i would dry it outside but we have had a week of rain and are expecting more, toaster oven only reaches 110c and its sitting in the middle of the shed so the chance of a mishap is low

Aside from shitty flash there is not much more i can do with my product, i doubt chlorides will make it more unstable and i doubt it will be that potent anyway

Edited by marble, 14 August 2007 - 09:29 PM.

#309 hashashan

hashashan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 04:07 PM

chlorate flashes rule
KClO3 72
Mg 27
is the best thing i have ever seen

#310 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:38 AM

Magnesium based flashes are insane :)

Anders Greenman, hows your anode going?

#311 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:32 AM

Chlorate will make some nice stars.

Why not go make some.... orange gold stars out of it :D.

#312 Anders Greenman

Anders Greenman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:44 PM

Anders Greenman, hows your anode going?

Too much milling, shell preparing and away these days so I haven't been able to continue with this project. Will continue no later than next week ;)
Føkk off mate!

#313 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:35 PM

Anyone have anything new to add?

Lack of perchlorate here is annoying me, still investigating a possible anode.

#314 Gazza

Gazza

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:30 PM

Try an anode made of platinum wire. I know it is expensive, but it will last a long time. Graphite is a no-no: it is attacked by the corrosive nature of the electrolyte, to leave a black sludge at the bottom of the cell. You need an anode with a high oxygen overpotential; I will not go into the technical details, but it would suffice for me to say that you should use either a platinum or lead dioxide-based anode.
Lead dioxide anodes are found in lead-acid batteries (I would'nt advise opening-up a lead-acid battery unless you know what risks are involved). You could also make lead dioxide anodes yourself by decomposing lead nitrate on a graphite substrate, but there is the issue of lead toxicity to consider.
I think that manganese dioxide anodes can be used; these are made by decomposing manganese nitrate on a graphite substrate. Bear in mind that toxic fumes of nitrogen dioxide are evolved from the decomposing nitrate.

#315 hashashan

hashashan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:13 AM

Platinum : Useless - It will corode when making perchlorate from chloride
LD from battery - Useless it is Alpha dioxide and not well made. It will corode very fast
GSLD : very hard to make it last. Never heard of anyonw who did it.
MnO2 - Wont work for perchlorate. Also it is made by electrodeposition from Manganese sulfate and not nitrate. probably possible from the decomposition of nitrate also but Then I dont think itll last.

Things to add :
I am making an anode now :

Ti plate with plastic fiber attached to it. Temperature controll 50-58 degrees. magnettic stirring and had PH controll untill I ran out of PbO. It is being plated for 2 days already, I think another day will be neccesary. hoping to get a massive LD anode about 4mm thick, reinforced with plastic fiber. I still dont know how do take the Ti off of it :(

Edited by hashashan, 04 November 2007 - 09:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users