36 replies to this topic

#31 teaboy

teaboy

Ejects Stars and Bangs

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:36 PM

But you only know how safe something really is if there's an accident. It's difficult to create a flowerpotting shell in a controlled test.

#32 GZ22

GZ22

An Explosive Force

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:33 AM

I haven't actually seen the full article below, as you need to pay to see it - but it looks interesting:

http://www.jpyro.com/wp/?p=375
Do it safe - Do it right - or - Don't do it at all.

#33 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:47 AM

But you only know how safe something really is if there's an accident. It's difficult to create a flowerpotting shell in a controlled test.

Not difficult at all. Remove the lift charge from the shell (making sure there is passfire to the timefuse of course), and voila, instant flowerpot. Another obvious way, load the shell upside down :rolleyes:
"The word unblowupable is thrown around a lot these days, but I think I can say with confidence..."
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
"OK... that shows you what could potentially happen."
--Homer Simpson

#34 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:15 PM

Not difficult at all. Remove the lift charge from the shell (making sure there is passfire to the timefuse of course), and voila, instant flowerpot. Another obvious way, load the shell upside down :rolleyes:

This is the kind of test anyone designing racks should do - in a suitable location (I would say 200m safety distance to be safe) with remote firing or a LONG time fuse of course. It certainly taught me a lot about what works and the awesome power of what we use.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#35 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:38 PM

Ok,

I tried 6 x 3" in a row with the quick match spliced open a bit and put into the next tube and taped over the top.
1 e-match on shell one.
All fired in less than a second and was a really nice quick way of setting up a finale run of shells! I like it, i am going to try next time with some knots to see how much difference it makes. In all i think due to the speed it was pretty safe.

#36 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:19 AM

Nice one! Glad you tried it.

Like I say the main advantage of this method is the speed of fusing "in-the field". As always the main thing has to be safety, which is why peer review is such as valuable tool.

Let me know how the knotted leader technique works! Video's always welcome....

#37 teaboy

teaboy

Ejects Stars and Bangs

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:28 PM

This is the kind of test anyone designing racks should do - in a suitable location (I would say 200m safety distance to be safe) with remote firing or a LONG time fuse of course. It certainly taught me a lot about what works and the awesome power of what we use.

Did you test a single shell failing in an otherwise empty rack, or a shell failure in a fully-loaded rack? I'm fairly sure you'd get a different result.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users