15 replies to this topic

#1 sfxdan

sfxdan

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:21 AM

Hi,

I have recently started to look at getting into pyrotechnics more professional. Ive previously worked in special effects and have mucked around with simples pyros, like gerbs , the home made stuff you make as a kid like Grenades, smokes bombs, black powder....

Ive done a couple of fireworks displays and have been on the pyro course with Charlie and Malcolm down at Wedmore, so realise the safety aspect of pyros. But I cant help but want to experiment and make my own pyro. Ive seen some of the instructions and videos on the net about making your own pyros.

Are there any "staple" tools or materials like black powder and other chemicals that would be good to get?

Thanks for any advise you can offer

dan

#2 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:01 PM

I think the first and most important tool or material you will need are books. Read read and re-read on all aspects of pyro and the safety that goes with it before attempting to create any composition or device. Then once you have more knowledge and ideas on what you want start out with perfecting your black powder, trust me it isn't as easy as you first may think ;). Without good black powder you ain't going to get far since black powder is the staple of most devices and a lot of compositions.

I am sure there is people on this forum who can guide you in what book may be the best to get started with etc. Some of the most popular books seem to be Shimizu Fireworks Art Sciense and Technique and Ron Lancaster's book Fireworks Principles & Practice. There are also a lot of web sites like pyroguide and many more. Hope this helps.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#3 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:24 PM

As was said above, reading,reading and more reading is the first and most important step. For beginner tools, I'd recommend the following:
safety glasses/shield
respirator
leather gloves
rubber gloves
Ball mill and media
scale
mixing screens (kitchen seives will be fine)
various kitchen ware: paper cups, mixing spoons, wood stir sticks, bowls etc...

For materials you will need the ingredients for BP to start and make some dextrin. From these and some metal powders, you can make a large variety of great stuff.
I'd start with BP, then fountains/gerbs and then make some stars and try some mines.

#4 sfxdan

sfxdan

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:31 PM

thanks for the replies. reading deff sounds like the way forward!! ive ordered a couple of books on line so just waiting for them to turn up now!

i know some people are a bit secretive about their BP reciepies. but, any thoughts on the best ingridiants?! and do you need a mill to grind the chemicals? is black match better than using an actual firework fuse? sorry for all the questions!

#5 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:01 AM

hmmmmm BP......whats the formula for that again.....ive got it jotted down here somewhere. is that the 50:50 one

With all due respect.....Ive just looked at your first post again....and it doesnt seem to gel with the above post....

" Ive previously worked in special effects and have mucked around with simples pyros, like gerbs , the home made stuff you make as a kid like Grenades, smokes bombs, black powder...."

then you ask for "BP reciepies"... thats something a cook uses in a kitchen. Your looking for a forumla.

If you want info like that, the internet is full of it.....there's loads of sites dedicated to making pyro.

Perhaps this might help.....if i was looking for a PYROGUIDE on the internet...id look up www. .com

Go try it.

Rant over.

Oh, and 1 last thing. I'd suggest loosing the G word than ends in renade. and the B word.

#6 knackers

knackers

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:16 AM

"post edited"

sfxdan..... you will find what you need to know in these forums, starting in the BP threads, happy hunting,

Edited by phill 63, 21 November 2008 - 08:00 AM.

#7 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:27 AM

i actaully thought my post was quite helpfull.

Oh well, can't please everone.

pyroguide.com is a great site, its full of information, great for starting out !

#8 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:03 PM

thanks for the replies. reading deff sounds like the way forward!! ive ordered a couple of books on line so just waiting for them to turn up now!

i know some people are a bit secretive about their BP reciepies. but, any thoughts on the best ingridiants?! and do you need a mill to grind the chemicals? is black match better than using an actual firework fuse? sorry for all the questions!

Once you've read up a little you should soon realise that there are many different types of BP, many different types of fuse, all of which have their own place in pyro. Blackmatch is an actual fireworks fuse, as is visco. There is a massive amount of info here regarding BP manufacture and fuses too...

Theory is the place to start - make sure you're familiar and comfortable with all the safety aspects of pyro before doing any practical experimentation. You should commit to memory all the relevant chemical incompatibilities - this should help stop you inadvertantly mixing things which you shouldn't.

People can be secretive about their more exotic colour formulas, but BP itself is just variations on the standard 75/15/10 formula. There are a plethora of all kinds of formulas available free on this forum and elsewhere. Be very wary of old, out-dated formulas and make sure a formula is tried and tested and you're aware of any precautionary notes before experimenting with it.

Passfire.com is a great resource for the beginner. As is the search function here - there are some great threads from a while back. Takes a while, but read it all!

Oh, and ignore wjames.

Above all, try to stay green!

#9 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:18 PM

I thing Creepin_pyro's post ( and the others ) is what sfxdan was after wjames, not rude, arrogant ones

sfxdan check your PM ;)
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#10 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:26 PM

ahem....

ive already apolagised to sfxdan..

hopefully someone will see that i WAS actaully trying to be help full.

Perhaps my sense of humour is not up to scratch.

#11 sfxdan

sfxdan

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:40 PM

Hi everyone,

thanks for all the advice, ive had a quick look at the web sites you have mentioned and looks like its going to take me a while to go through em.

i know there is a standard mix for BP, i just wasnt sure if there were any veriations to it, or different ratios for difference application. I might have been a bit naive in my use of words, which i apologies about, but as i explained this is pretty new to me. And you've gota start somewhere!

If anyone can think of any other stock tools of the trade, or simple "starter projects". (ONCE IVE SLOGGED THROUGH ALL THE BOOKS AND LITERACTURE FIRST OF COURSE) that i could start out on. Thanks in advance for any advice or tips!!

cheers Dan

#12 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:14 PM

i know there is a standard mix for BP, i just wasnt sure if there were any veriations to it, or different ratios for difference application. I might have been a bit naive in my use of words, which i apologies about, but as i explained this is pretty new to me. And you've gota start somewhere!

If anyone can think of any other stock tools of the trade, or simple "starter projects". (ONCE IVE SLOGGED THROUGH ALL THE BOOKS AND LITERACTURE FIRST OF COURSE) that i could start out on. Thanks in advance for any advice or tips!!

cheers Dan

There are many who use different BP ratios, but the standard 75/15/10 will work just fine for almost anything. Many star/comet and fountain comps are just different ratios of BP...
Be aware there is a lot of CRAP on pyroguide. Another great resource is Skylighter, look in the project pages and newsletter archives, some great stuff there. Including beginner project tutorials. I believe I listed some hints for a beginner, as well as some basic tools to start with.

#13 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:10 PM

My first project was a cremora...took me a few attempts to fine tune it, but it worked well.

I think its a good place to start, even more so if your into SFX.

#14 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:31 PM

I agree with What Bonny says. Pyroguide is riddled with misinformation and I think that it often does more harm than good. The problem is not isolated to Pyroguide, nor am I saying "stay away", but until you are able to read pyro websites critically and be able to say this this this and this are wrong, please take what you read with a pinch of salt.

May the future bring much controlled combustion!
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#15 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:50 PM

I agree with What Bonny says. Pyroguide is riddled with misinformation and I think that it often does more harm than good. The problem is not isolated to Pyroguide, nor am I saying "stay away", but until you are able to read pyro websites critically and be able to say this this this and this are wrong, please take what you read with a pinch of salt.

May the future bring much controlled combustion!

Agreed, even on forums, though "here" members will correct any errors on info given

As long as Dan reads the vast amount of info I've sent him, he'll be fine ;)

Edited by portfire, 18 November 2008 - 06:54 PM.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users