24 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:42 AM

I've already bought my sparklers and Launch Kontrol stuff for next year, I'm thinking I'd better get some more stuff in too before the rush! Only 51 weeks to go! Ha ha ha ha! :lol:

Edited by David, 13 November 2008 - 12:42 AM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#2 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:44 PM

I've already bought my sparklers and Launch Kontrol stuff for next year, I'm thinking I'd better get some more stuff in too before the rush! Only 51 weeks to go! Ha ha ha ha! :lol:

if you pay the £80 or so for a storage license then in the summer you will be able to take advantage of out of season offers and probably save 2 or 3 times the outlay if not more and be legal as well

its kinda hard to plan a Nov display for next year as you got no idea whats going to be around new gear wise , dont forget everyone will be going to china soon to place orders for new items

#3 Aftershock

Aftershock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

Im just looking forward to using the launch Kontrol system! Wish id known about it this year.

I hope most stuff is available as 1.3g next year.

#4 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:38 AM

Im just looking forward to using the launch Kontrol system! Wish id known about it this year.

I hope most stuff is available as 1.3g next year.

there was a lengthy thread on the Launch Kontrol system on here quite a while ago though i guess not everyone saw it

as for most stuff being available as 1.3G i think you may find theres less stuff available as some of the older stock that was sold this year is now almost done and once stocks go, its mostly black powder and 1.4G , especialy as the "sell on " periods that shops were given will possible be over now , (this year was a mix of old and new stock and old and new reg material as shops got rid ready for when new storage limits are impossed) , didnt you all notice just how much quieter this GFN period was this year bangs wise over all)

some brands/companys will possibly introduce more pyromesh containers so items can be classed as 1.4G instead or 1.3G but that may depend on feedback from this year (i hear some were a lot harder to get into than others)

on the bright side there are other companys such as epic that made a point of only bringing in 1.3G items and as far as i know they have the same plans again this year , the only snag to this is the fact you can only store the items for 3 days once bought from them unless your registed for storage (which isnt a big deal to do )

#5 Daedalus

Daedalus

Me, I only do Cat. 3

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:29 PM

on the bright side there are other companys such as epic that made a point of only bringing in 1.3G items and as far as i know they have the same plans again this year , the only snag to this is the fact you can only store the items for 3 days once bought from them unless your registed for storage (which isnt a big deal to do )

Doesn't the 3 day limit only applies for NEQ over 5kg - if not there will be a huge number of people breaking the law next year - and I suspect most people won't even know they are as most non-enthusiasts won't know the difference betwen 1.3g and 1.4g. There seemed to be some confussion between the 1.3g / 1.4g and cat 2 / 3 / 4.

#6 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:53 PM

Doesn't the 3 day limit only applies for NEQ over 5kg - if not there will be a huge number of people breaking the law next year - and I suspect most people won't even know they are as most non-enthusiasts won't know the difference betwen 1.3g and 1.4g. There seemed to be some confussion between the 1.3g / 1.4g and cat 2 / 3 / 4.

you can store up to 5kg neq without registering for a storeage lisence though i dont know if that includes 1.3G i assume it does as it refers to powder weights, however 5kg isnt a lot when a decent good barrage can have anything up to 2kg in powder on its own so your 5kg may allow you to only store 2 or 3 barrages really

there would have been a lot of people "breaking the law" this year when some fireworks were changed from 1.4G to 1.3G , and there will have been lots of people p*ssed off as well after paying for fireworks that they had last year expecting them to be the same when the vast majority wernt due to the flash powder being changed to black powder to keep the said fireworks at 1.4G status . There are good quality new reg fireworks around but if you like fireworks like they used to be ie large big breaks and noisy then for the most part those will be 1.3G

would love to hear from anyone who bought items from JTF and hear what thier fireworks were like this year LOL

#7 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:13 PM

I think the "powers that be" were being lenient this year, with a lot stores selling a mix of old and new regs (1.3G & 1.4G)

However I wouldn't expect the same leniency next year and pleading ignorance wont wash - simply get organised and sort yourself with a registered store and you can then have the pick of 2009 range of fireworks safe in the knowledge that they are being legally stored :)

#8 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:49 PM

I think the "powers that be" were being lenient this year, with a lot stores selling a mix of old and new regs (1.3G & 1.4G)

However I wouldn't expect the same leniency next year and pleading ignorance wont wash - simply get organised and sort yourself with a registered store and you can then have the pick of 2009 range of fireworks safe in the knowledge that they are being legally stored :)

it didnt/dont seem to help matters that 1 authority didnt agree with another or gave conflicting advice and that what goes in 1 area isnt always the case in another , this country really is in a shambles

isnt there a "sell on" period for shops to get rid of stock that was 1.4G and is now 1.3G ? surley the powers that be carnt expect a shop to move hundreds of kilos or maybe even tons of stock "just like that" so to speak

sadly i feel this is only the start of more and more leglisation towards the general public not being allowed fireworks for the most part

i dont know why everyone involved in fireworks doest have a registered store , its quite cheap (£80 or so initionaly) you can easy get the cash back in savings by buying out of season and you dont need a 20 foot shipping container in order to have one (i was told my spare bedroom would do)

#9 Daedalus

Daedalus

Me, I only do Cat. 3

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:57 PM

you can store up to 5kg neq without registering for a storeage lisence though i dont know if that includes 1.3G i assume it does as it refers to powder weights, however 5kg isnt a lot when a decent good barrage can have anything up to 2kg in powder on its own so your 5kg may allow you to only store 2 or 3 barrages really

That was certainly my take on it as (I don't have the actual wording) the law states 'fireworks' not by explosive class or firework category - though I haven't seen the part about 3 days applying to consumers - all I can remember is the <5kg NEQ can be stored for an unlimited periodof time and >5kg can be stored for 21 days.

5kg is actually quite a lot for most once a year users, and quite probably for more than 5kg the 21 days will be sufficient for them anyway. More serious enthusiasts such as a lot of the people on this forum may well find licensing as vital (especially to get the most out of out of season discounts)

#10 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:17 PM

21 days is for 1.4G fireworks if you have 1.3G items then its 3 days and 3 days only , i think theres also some other rules or regulations about storing them where they are going to be used , so that you carnt move them to a mates house after 3 days then to another then your mums etc etc , same with a registed store if you have any 1.3G in it then the whole store is classed as 1.3G and so your storage allowance drops to those of 1.3G rather than 1.4G

trust me 5KG powder weight isnt a lot if you have decent quality large barrages you can go over 5kg with just 3 of those , obviously if you buy smaller items then 5kg can be a lot i guess although i dont know how you will work out what you have in weight as single fireworks on the whole dont have that kind of information on them

That was certainly my take on it as (I don't have the actual wording) the law states 'fireworks' not by explosive class or firework category - though I haven't seen the part about 3 days applying to consumers - all I can remember is the <5kg NEQ can be stored for an unlimited periodof time and >5kg can be stored for 21 days.

5kg is actually quite a lot for most once a year users, and quite probably for more than 5kg the 21 days will be sufficient for them anyway. More serious enthusiasts such as a lot of the people on this forum may well find licensing as vital (especially to get the most out of out of season discounts)

#11 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:14 PM

isnt there a "sell on" period for shops to get rid of stock that was 1.4G and is now 1.3G ? surley the powers that be carnt expect a shop to move hundreds of kilos or maybe even tons of stock "just like that" so to speak

Well our trading standards have said that we have until the end of March, after then they will be looking at items that have, under the new regulations, migrated to being classified as 1.3G and will be expecting them to be stored and treated as a 1.3G item.

#12 Aftershock

Aftershock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:33 PM

Not to look like im going to try and get around any laws here but realistically if I go out and buy 20 large 1.3g barrages next year and put them in the house whats the chances of someone knocking on the door saying can we search the premises for fireworks please?

#13 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:57 PM

The same could be said for any law, it's "ok" until you get caught or something goes wrong....

#14 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:34 PM

nothing really .... , you can go to any shop and buy 1 or 2 or more barrages/items and say they are for a birthday for that weekend

however have you got a wife and kids ? do you really want to store fireworks illegally and risk a large fine or even imprisonment or should the unthinkable happen and your house catchs fire do you think your insurance will pay you out ?.......remember at the end of the day fireworks are explosives and common sense should prevail

Not to look like im going to try and get around any laws here but realistically if I go out and buy 20 large 1.3g barrages next year and put them in the house whats the chances of someone knocking on the door saying can we search the premises for fireworks please?

#15 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:00 PM

There have indeed been news reports this year of homes/garages being raided and fireworks being taken away, although in think in most cases this is linked to people selling them illegally, or storing them to sell.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users