• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:30 AM

Given Weingart's liking for Chlorate in formulae, and my dislike for Chlorate anywhere! Can I replace it with Perchlorate?

Weight for weight? 4:3 as oxygen atoms? or.....
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#2 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:54 AM

Given Weingart's liking for Chlorate in formulae, and my dislike for Chlorate anywhere! Can I replace it with Perchlorate?

Weight for weight? 4:3 as oxygen atoms? or.....

Don't forget about the chlorine donor if you are doing colours, a chlorate formula will very often not require one whereas a perc one will.
Phew that was close.

#3 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:00 PM

Don't forget about the chlorine donor if you are doing colours, a chlorate formula will very often not require one whereas a perc one will.

That explains the crappy colour when I subed Lancasters KClO3 yellow with KClO4 :rolleyes: You may find (like I did) that the stars are much more difficult to ignite. At the time I only had cryolite (still do) and all the other KClO4 comps used sodium oxalate, but thanks to one of Karls posts, found a good yellow with the moded Veline red ;)
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#4 bill

bill

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:47 AM

Lancaster says in "Fireworks Principles and Practice:3rd edition" that Potassium Perchlorate can be subbed for Chlorate but you have to add "considerable" amounts of charcoal and the flames will look smaller. At least in his red, green, yellow and blue pumped roman candle star formula.

#5 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:20 PM

Odd that the yellow came out poorer. Chlorine isn't involved in the generation of yellow, just atomic sodium. It actually should have gotten better since perc burns hotter than chlorate. I suppose it depends on what kind of yellow you desire.

The heat is why colors tend to be poorer with perchlorate vs chlorate. Neither actually give up much if any free chlorine to the flame on their own. A chlorine donor will make either formula better. Addition of sulfur helps too.

I like charcoal in all my star formulas, only a couple percent. It helps them burn smoother, and might help eat up some extra oxygen to prevent the less desirable emitters. Hexamine will improve the flame envelope.

#6 jayden

jayden

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:45 PM

Is it possible to replace perchlorate with chlorate?

#7 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:48 PM

Is it possible to replace perchlorate with chlorate?

Sometimes, but only if you are an expert with chlorates. Otherwise, it could unfortunately be very dangerous.

There are plenty of good formulae designed specifically for chlorates. These also need plenty of experience to work with safely.

Edited by BrightStar, 18 July 2009 - 03:55 PM.

#8 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:42 AM

For yellow Bengals I use:

70% potassium chlorate

15% cryolite

15% shellac

As long as you don't mix chlorates with sulfur/compounds/ or ammonium salts, chlorates aren't much more dangerous than perchlorates.
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users