• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Angus1

Angus1

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:15 PM

Hi, next easter ill be flying from heathrow airporst, and dad just told me that they swab your bag for traces of explosives, and that this swab will pick up chemicals from weeks ago, does anyone know if this is true and if it would pick up BP? I dont want to get stopped cause i have a trace of it on me. (im not a terrorist by the way ;) )
Thanks,
Angus

#2 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:22 PM

They certainly can detect most high explosives down to pico gramme quantities However they are unlikely to bother with minor traces of commercial fireworks. Most people who have ever been to a pro firework display will have that sort of amount of firework residue in their clothes.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#3 Asteroid

Asteroid

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:25 PM

They only really do random screening unless you are giving them hassle or have aroused suspicion. They use electronic sniffer machines, and I really don't think you have anything to worry about if you have nothing to hide.

#4 Angus1

Angus1

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:25 PM

They certainly can detect most high explosives down to pico gramme quantities However they are unlikely to bother with minor traces of commercial fireworks. Most people who have ever been to a pro firework display will have that sort of amount of firework residue in their clothes.

Ok, so if i start making my own fireworks its unlikely that ill get stopped B) Thanks for your help :)
Thanks,
Angus

#5 mlepyro

mlepyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:08 PM

I've been through security in Heathrow with a laptop which had been used for firing a show, and they swabbed that. No problem.

We've also taken various firing systems out on planes without a problem.

So I'd say you'll be fine!

Mat
MLE Pyrotechnics Limited
www.mlepyro.co.uk www.firebywire.co.uk

#6 Angus1

Angus1

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:32 AM

Ok, looks like itll be ok then :)
Thanks,
Angus

#7 teaboy

teaboy

Ejects Stars and Bangs

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:32 PM

I've worked at events attended by high-level royalty, with a van used for professional display transport with god knows how much residual stuff floating about. The police sniffer dogs didn't bat an eyelid.

As long as you keep your mouth shut about making your own exlosives, you'll be fine. Airport security have NO sense of humour, and big guns.

#8 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:17 PM

To be fair there gonna be looking for Expl****es not BP.

#9 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:26 PM

A mate of mine got pulled a few years back going into an airshow - the sniffer dogs went crazy over the back of his car which had a fair amount of pyro ash and debris on the carpets. Mind you, his company did sometimes use flame projector stuff, so it could be NC residue they detected.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#10 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:39 PM

Real HE materials have special tracers included that dogs are especially sensitive (and trained) for.

NC from sfx flame projectors would have tracers added but BP likely would not.

If you are competent and legal to work with traced HE then some evidence of that professional business need would be an essential to easy air transport. As a user of UK, BS approved, classified fireworks then you have nothing to worry about
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users