20 replies to this topic

#16 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 02:41 PM

Cheers maxman, I'd feel a lot happier using a customised mill for UK voltages rather than plugging a 110 into 240.

Will let you know how I get on.

:rolleyes:
Making light, sound and good conversation.

#17 Matt

Matt

Another Aussie Trying To take Over

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 02:25 AM

Hey pazza, how much did that all end up costing you?

-Matt
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#18 Pazza

Pazza

Not just a pretty face

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 08:19 AM

it didnt cost any extra, so with conversion it was about $130, which is pretty good since a decent case tumbler starts at about $200 without any media (i couldnt be stuffed building one), but since i am doing pyro with my dad he pays for all the stuff :D (i'll have to post a picture of my press, its awesome)
btw the ball mill runs smoothly and it does not use a converter so i suppose that they put in a whole new unit

#19 Matt

Matt

Another Aussie Trying To take Over

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 10:00 AM

So thats $130 aus? crikey.
Im curious as to what stuff you make, being a fellow aussy and all..

-Matt
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#20 chrissw

chrissw

chrissw

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 10:08 PM

Look at Maplins, Farnell or RS for voltage converters, you need to step down from 240V AC to 110V AC to avoid burning out a motor designed to work off 110V AC in the UK.

Don't worry about the frequency difference, AC in the US is 60Hz and in the UK it is 50Hz. A motor designed for 60Hz operation will run a bit slower but for a ball mill that shouldn't be a problem. You must drop the voltage though or you will get motors running quite fast for a short time before they give up the ghost!

Farnell will sell to private individuals paying by credit card either on-line or telephoned orders.

Maplins of course have high street stores as well as paying by credit card either on-line or telephoned orders.

RS used to have a mail-order division called Electromail for private individuals, but although that is now discontinued they now accept telephoned orders paying by credit card from private individuals, I'm not sure about ordering on-line though!

#21 Pazza

Pazza

Not just a pretty face

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 06:13 AM

matt, at the moment im just making set pieces, since the ground is so dry because of the drought (dont want to risk a fire)
there are a few blokes at my dad's work who are into rocketry so we're going to get into a a bit of that once we get some rain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users