• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 king lerock

king lerock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:38 PM

hello, i have yet another question mainly about Pb production and yes i have read the threads and so on but i have also had advive from a very reliable source of my own and so my question is this. my process for creating Pb is this take your ingredients 5g potasium nitrate, 1 g carbon/charcol, and 0.67 g sulpher. sepretly grind these to a fine powder then grind sulpher and carbon together then potsaium nitrate now take the this powder ad some drops of water to make a paste get this paste and spread it onto some tinfoil and set to dry for 2 days (till their is not hint of moisture left) then grind this into a powder their you go any hints or corrections to this i will tell you when the next batch is finished if 1g goes up in a poof.

#17 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

The term 'Star(s)' is given to a composition that has been made into a solid for, whether this be pumped, rolled, cut etc. Using the search function will explain the processes.

I started out with fountains and at the time was using 'Green mix', which is unmilled, processed BP and I guess is what you have. Milling the 3 chemicals will result in a faster, higher quality BP, you could try the CIA method (Crystallization In Alcohol) but the end product (although acceptable) is somewhat inferior to milled BP, and it's a messy process one at best.

At some point you will need a press, while ramming BP on it's own is OK adding metals will increase the sensitivity and the composition needs to be pressed. You will also need a blast shield to protect you just in case things go wrong, though remember this, when things go wrong, they go wrong QUICK. A MUST HAVE is PPE!!!!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#18 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:54 PM

Your "reliable" source is wrong, the ratio for BP is 75% KNO3 15% C 10% S

#19 king lerock

king lerock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:29 PM

well i will try making a batch of Bp with your ratio, and compair the results

#20 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:39 PM

well i will try making a batch of Bp with your ratio, and compair the results

I hope I didn't sound rude in my last post, I apologize if so. This is not my ratio though, this IS the ratio of standard BP, they are variants with regards to charcoal streamer stars and such but the ratio I gave is the standard. All parts (%) are by weight!

#21 king lerock

king lerock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:02 PM

i understand thanks for the advice

#22 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:34 PM

A good text will answer all your questions, and offer guidance about the chemicals and tools needed to make the various parts of fireworks.

Learning the types of fireworks and the component parts that comprise each type, will tell you what chems and tools you need to make something interesting. Otherwise you are going to have dangerous mixes around with nothing to use them for.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#23 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:06 PM

Your "reliable" source is wrong, the ratio for BP is 75% KNO3 15% C 10% S

Dean technically it is (as good as) right mate.

75:15:10 .....IS...... 15:3:2 .........IS....... 5:1:0.6666666666 (rounded to 2 decimal points is 0.67)

The weight measurements are different but the ratio is the same.

Looked wrong to me at first then I worked it out :-)

#24 king lerock

king lerock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:52 PM

"75:15:10 .....IS...... 15:3:2 .........IS....... 5:1:0.6666666666"

so i was using the right amounts :D

Edited by king lerock, 02 February 2009 - 08:53 PM.

#25 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

Ok, my bad :blush:

#26 king lerock

king lerock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

so what can "stars"be made from just plain bp or other such things or do you need to add somthing to the and what is the best method of making stars (probably smaller ones) and where can you buy the equipment needed.
i have found these but could some one explain what i would do with them http://www.pyrosuppl...ools/4520679402

Edited by king lerock, 02 February 2009 - 10:37 PM.

#27 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:58 PM

so what can "stars"be made from just plain bp or other such things or do you need to add somthing to the and what is the best method of making stars (probably smaller ones) and where can you buy the equipment needed.
i have found these but could some one explain what i would do with them http://www.pyrosuppl...ools/4520679402

There are plenty of great effects that can be achieved with just BP chemicals.

Do yourself a favour and do some reading before you go and buy any tools. There are plenty of great books as others have mentioned. There are many great resources on the net too. www.passfire.com is excellent with lots of great articles. It would be the best $20 you will ever spend. Even resources such as www.pyroguide.com are starting to get good.

D
Phew that was close.

#28 king lerock

king lerock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:11 PM

im sorry if i am bugging anyone with my questions but i cant affor mutch at all and am trying to work out how much cash i will need to start, also nut a fair number of the threads here are for people who have mastered the basics of pyrotechnics and i would be happy if anyone could point me in the direction of a website for begginers.

#29 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:19 PM

im sorry if i am bugging anyone with my questions but i cant affor mutch at all and am trying to work out how much cash i will need to start, also nut a fair number of the threads here are for people who have mastered the basics of pyrotechnics and i would be happy if anyone could point me in the direction of a website for begginers.

www.passfire.com

Believe me you will save way way more than the $20 it costs just by reading the articles and making some of the things you need yourself! Worth every penny.

Obviously start in the section called BASICS.

There is a fair amount of information here too for beginers, although you will have to use the search function to find it.

Edited by digger, 02 February 2009 - 11:21 PM.

Phew that was close.

#30 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:54 PM

You would do well in mind, body and wallet to learn a lot by reading both www places and real hard copy books.

go here; http://come.to/pfp

to see what ill advised pyro looks like.

12 months spent reading every post on this forum and reading the whole of Lancaster's book, weingart's book Shimizu's book and Tom Perigrin's book, will give you lots of knowledge and help you to become a proficient pyro rather than another statistic.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users