• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 king lerock

king lerock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

hey guys today i was at a party and we had party poppers so i took one apart and when i got to the chare i found it to be tiny (not that i expected it to be very big) it was a wite powder about the size of granulated sugar and it had splodges of purple in it, which i gues may be iodine, so do any of you know what it is. by the way has anyone made any of the mythical exploding paste i have heard about it is clear and you brush it onto a object and when it is dried it can be set of by a touch giving a bang and very little residue.

#2 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

There is an interesting article in "Fireworks magazine" this month about christmas crackers. I assume its something similar, possibly mercury or silver fulminate. I doubt it is a good idea to dabble in such things if you value your life.

#3 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:29 PM

The purple crystals are almost certainly ammonium-nitrogen-triodine.
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#4 ExplosiveCoek

ExplosiveCoek

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

That paste is not mythical, it's quite easy to make.. but very dangerous, so I wouldn't recommend it..

If you have Shimizu's FAST, then there is perfectly explained how they make those small party poppers and all the risks around it.
It's not something you want to mess around with since they are both very sensitive..They are designed to be sensitive to friction ;).

#5 king lerock

king lerock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:37 PM

That paste is not mythical, it's quite easy to make.. but very dangerous, so I wouldn't recommend it..

If you have Shimizu's FAST, then there is perfectly explained how they make those small party poppers and all the risks around it.
It's not something you want to mess around with since they are both very sensitive..They are designed to be sensitive to friction ;) .

i have FAST but i have not read that, what chapter?

#6 ExplosiveCoek

ExplosiveCoek

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:14 PM

The whole book is nice to read, definitly word spending your time on.

I believe it was at the end of the book, can't remember the chapter.. if you have the e-book just use the search function.

#7 spanner

spanner

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:58 PM

i have FAST but i have not read that, what chapter?

Part 4, Chapter 22. Toy Fireworks, Page 272-279 most likely.

I don't remember party poppers, per se, but there are pull caps that should be similar.

Edited by spanner, 13 February 2009 - 08:03 PM.

#8 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:34 PM

I have made Peter Logans exploding paste. Great fun, but limited usefullness!
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#9 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:10 PM

It seems I was wrong but "Bang Iodine", like the literal translation of the Swedish term would be, is even more sensitive. It detonates from the wind or the sun heat...
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#10 ExplosiveCoek

ExplosiveCoek

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:10 AM

True, even when you are tapping the table were it is lying on it will go boom after a while.

#11 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

As far as I was aware it was a paste of red phosporous and potassium chlorate similar to toy cap composition (the type in the red plastic rings of caps).

A small amount is pasted onto a strip of paper and a piece of string is layed on the composition. The paper is then wound up into a tight little tube whilst the composition is wet. Once the composition has dried it is so sensitive that the friction from pulling the string sets it off.

The chemicals should never be brought together in a dry state as they are extremely sensitive and can cause horrific accidents.

This is one of those mixes that is likely to see little bits of you in a coffin if you try to make it.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#12 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:39 PM

I would concur with Mortartube!

#13 GZ22

GZ22

An Explosive Force

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:45 PM

On a similar note, I recall reading many moons ago that a 40ft sea container filled with 'Devil Bangers' fell from the lifting device being used at a port to transfer it from the ship to the storage area. The net result was a mass explosion that caused considerable damage. Not surprising considering that the composition used in them (albeit in very small quantities) is a very energetic indeed.
Do it safe - Do it right - or - Don't do it at all.

#14 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

Thanks Richard. I knew that you were a man of many words. Lol.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users