• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 PyroCreationZ

PyroCreationZ

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:29 PM

Sorry to bump this thread but can someone reupload that PDF or send it to my email?
Thanks.

YouTube account.

#17 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:11 PM

Hi, yes if you PM me your email address I'll send you a copy - it's an interesting read.

#18 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

Have you actually had any success with perchlorate glitters? The few I've seen, just weren't right. I have the article, and I do wonder about that addition of small amounts of perc to speed it up and make it a bit brighter.

I mentioned it to a professional pyro manufacturer, and he had never heard of it either. Chlorine is known to kill the glitter effect, to the detriment of colored glitters. I guess we get lucky with potassium perchlorate as it doesn't release much, if any, free chlorine. Though, I would be a bit concerned with all the sulfur around, which can cause it to kick out chlorine. It probably takes careful formulation.

#19 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:38 PM

I never got round to trying any.

Alan's page HERE does suggest he had success with one though...

#20 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:52 PM

Slightly off topic but does anyone know the creator of D1? After seeing Eric von Baum's paper thought it could be him though have heard of another source.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#21 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:58 PM

Have you actually had any success with perchlorate glitters? The few I've seen, just weren't right. I have the article, and I do wonder about that addition of small amounts of perc to speed it up and make it a bit brighter.

I mentioned it to a professional pyro manufacturer, and he had never heard of it either. Chlorine is known to kill the glitter effect, to the detriment of colored glitters. I guess we get lucky with potassium perchlorate as it doesn't release much, if any, free chlorine. Though, I would be a bit concerned with all the sulfur around, which can cause it to kick out chlorine. It probably takes careful formulation.

I took careful note of your "free chlorine" wording. Does this mean barium chlorate would work seeing as most of it instantaneously reacts to volatile barium chloride?

I think perhaps we should just concentrate on making micro stars which burn at a very high speed and can easily be made into granules, much like black powder. Conventionally, to me, it seems like glitter reactions outside of D1 and the various pinks, silvers and ambers are too much work and trial and error when we already have a solution.

On the other side of the coin - non colored glitters made with perchlorate are very nice. I have tried two white magnalium glitters which use potassium perchlorate to speed up the reaction. Both of them were brighter than d1, though they lacked the pleasant gold color.

Edited by MDH, 01 June 2010 - 05:00 PM.

#22 a_bab

a_bab

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

The KP glitters mentioned in the VonBaum make use of almost 50% KP and large amounts of sulphur (almost 20%). Antimony sulphide is useless. Notable is also the fact that only Al would work (and not MgAl), sometimes very coarse. Also as a delay agent only sodium bicarbonate is appropriate, the rest of the agents either being useless/barely working.

The glitter is fast and small; I *think* the formula looks almost like a sparkler compo. Gotta try it.

#23 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:21 AM

A1 glitter is very pretty IMO. It is different, but absolutely a glitter.

Makes a nice sparkler too, but small pumped comets are great.

Give it a try if you have perchlorate to spare.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users