Photo

Is there anyway to make money through pyrotechnics?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Green_as_my_powder

Green_as_my_powder

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:06 PM

Fellow pyros,

I live in the United States, and I'm sure regulations are different here. I'm not looking to be able to "quit my day job", but would love to generate some small income. This would be most useful when "discussing" with my wife how much I can spend on this awesome hobby over the next month. There is probably no way for me to even "break even", but she would appreciate the effort.

Some thoughts I had included to try and join the crew putting on a large show, or to try making and selling "fairly safe" devices such as smoke bombs or sparklers. I'm not sure if the required licensing would make the effort impractical. I'm involved in my local pyrotechnic guild and may be able to find folks willing to help me set this up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
And the priest shall take from the cereal offering its memorial portion and burn this on the altar, an offering by fire, a pleasing odor to the LORD.
(Lev 2:9)

--seems to me that if God likes the odor of burnt cereal, He's just gotta love gunpowder...

#2 spanner

spanner

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

Please understand that this is just MY opinion.

Hobbies are a money-losing proposition. Pyro is no different.

Most "casual" help at club shoots and such is unpaid, done for the experience and/or to get licensed. Commercial show companies are so far and few between, that finding one who is hiring might be difficult if not impossible.

Other schemes like bulk chemical purchasing and repackaging has been done nearly to death- and I know of no one getting wealthy off of the proposition, though some seem to make a living at it- at considerable cash outlay and less time to actually "go out and light something".

I believe you would be better served getting even a minimum wage 2nd. job to generate income to spend on pyrotechnics, than try to sell "safe and sane" 'works like sparklers/smoke bombs, etc. The liability insurance alone will kill you. But a 2nd. job leaves you with even LESS time for the hobby. Typical "Catch-22".

That being said, there are- I'm sure- ideas out there that will make the right person at the right time a millionaire. But no one in their right mind will be handing you any of those!

Good luck. :)

Edited by spanner, 21 February 2009 - 04:56 PM.

#3 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:31 PM

Don't know if it's the same in US, but in UK you can make a bit of pocket money 'firing' for a display company.

This mostly means lugging racks around muddy fields and getting home very late! You do get paid after you have done a few gigs though...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users