7 replies to this topic

#1 Palerider1942

Palerider1942

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

Hi
I've just started with the pyrotechnics and need info on the storage, manufacture (prehaps that should have been first), and transporting side of the pyrotechnics

just to start off is it legal in the uk to make a smoke bomb for the purpose of filming

BOOMTIME!

Edited by Boomtime, 02 March 2009 - 06:16 PM.

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

Hello,

If you do a bit of searching in this forum and view some of the older topics. You will see this has been discussed at length. Well worth consulting our links section and reading up MSER.

In short you are limited in what you can do. When you say filming, by whom, and for what purpose, and where? The answers to those questions will affect the advice you are given.

#3 Palerider1942

Palerider1942

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:18 AM

[quote name='Richard H' date='Mar 2 2009, 06:32 PM' post='54301']
Hi richard
I'm doing some pyro works for a couple of friends
there is not a definite script so no locations as yet but it should be low budget
Anyway it is a way in to the pyrotechnic industry

#4 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:44 PM

MSER is the most (but not the only) relevant piece of legislation, if you read it you will see the rules and exceptions specifically for the film industry.

The Safety and awareness course run by the Assn of Stage Pyrotechnicians would be a useful investment, and may open doors for supplies. Smoke is available trade to competent users (ie passed the ASP course (and others)). Also If you buy an item it will be classified and hence transportable without issues.

http://www.stage-pyr...e.php?page_id=2
http://www.stage-pyr....php?readmore=5
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#5 Asteroid

Asteroid

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:31 PM

In summary - legally without any licence etc, all you can do is make and use 100g of any compostion at a time. You cannot store it and you cannot make 75g of smoke and 75g of black powder (because it's over 100g total).
However, so long as you are not causing a nuisance, and you're friendly and reasonable to anyone who enquires (police, public etc), I'm sure no-one will mind if you have a 150g smoke taking part in your film, because most police officers are very reasonabl about his sort of thing.

Hope this helps :)

#6 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

Just buy a smoke bo mb -my firework shop has them so I suspect that one near you has them too.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#7 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:18 PM

Cat 3 Smoke Bo "" mbs do vary in quailty- although I have had fun with them! But they tend to be very short in duration. Not all ranges have smoke bombs- I think only Cosmic and Men Shun, and so they might be a bit hard to find. Fireworks Emporium have the Cosmic ones I think.

Commerically HFM do battlefield /theatrical stuff, best ask them directly about the legal side.

Edited by David, 22 March 2009 - 12:20 PM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#8 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:13 PM

Go to your local plumbing shop and ask for a tube of flue smoke tablets!

Lots of dense white smoke off those and they last for about 2 minutes each.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users