• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:48 PM

Not had the opportunity to try anything else as yet I'm affraid. It worked well for blackmatch but dont go over 1% or you'll have BP blancmange! :lol:

#17 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:09 PM

This is the CMC I've been using for a bit to bind BP: http://www.rapidonli...lulose adhesive, and it's very tough when used at 2%, and won't upset the oxygen balance as much as dextrin. Burning rate with BP seems pretty good, as good as any of the normal polysaccharide binders, though had some corrosion problems with stars containing magnalium. Nice price too :rolleyes: . I'd like to try some of the hydroxyethyl cellulose, that could have some interesting properties*. Be aware that some things sold as CMC are in fact the sodium "salt" of it, hence will colour flames quite yellow :huh:

*used in K-Y jelly :blush:

Edited by pyrotrev, 04 April 2009 - 12:22 PM.

Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#18 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:18 PM

This is the CMC I've been using for a bit to bind BP: http://www.rapidonli...lulose adhesive, and it's very tough when used at 2%, and won't upset the oxygen balance as much as dextrin. Burning rate with BP seems pretty good, as good as any of the normal polysaccharide binders, though had some corrosion problems with stars containing magnalium. Nice price too :rolleyes: . I'd like to try some of the hydroxyethyl cellulose, that could have some interesting properties. Be aware that some things sold as CMC are in fact the sodium "salt" of it, hence will colour flames quite yellow :huh:

Good source, I never thought to look there and I buy loadsa stuff from them too.
Phew that was close.

#19 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:56 AM

Yep that's where mine came from too I was trying to find out if it was truly CMC which thank you Trevor you have just confirmed. It doesn't actually say it is on the tub though annoyingly.

#20 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:21 PM

The other thing I like about CMC is that it dries nice and quickly :)

Edited by pyrotrev, 04 April 2009 - 12:23 PM.

Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#21 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:42 PM

Thank you all for the info will try this stuff out. How does it affect BP performance when used to bind it?
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users