26 replies to this topic

#16 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:13 PM

smoke rings from an air cannon are also fun. Not directly pyro related but it amuses the kids. You can explain that an air vortex cause the smoke ring. You only need a bit of rubber glove over the bottom of a large catering size tin can, with a largeish hole drilled in the other end.

Also you can do the Marvel type tin with a push on lid and a hole drilled in the bottom. Fill it with gas from the gas tap and light the bottom. This shows that gas will not explode until it has the right air/gas ratio and the lid flies off. Sit it on a tripod or similar. All good fun.

Again not pyro related, but I have found kids love it. A pint glass filled to the very brim with water. SLIDE a piece of card over it and invert over the sink. Atmospheric pressure keeps the card in place. My friends kids were amazed.

Edited by Mortartube, 07 April 2009 - 02:17 PM.

Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#17 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:51 PM

hmmmmmm, for me the king off , eye popping, wow experiments when i was a pupil in the chemistry lab would be the iodine, aluminum reaction, very simple to do with fantastic results, a video here press here, also some interesting bits here reactions of metals+ iodine :)

#18 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:33 AM

I have been thinking about your project Phil and after the usual safety warnings to the pupils, may I suggest that you start by explaining the fire triangle. At least then the pupils should easily get to grips with the ideas of oxygen bearing chemicals supplying the O2 and fuels.

Here's a nice one to copy and print out.

http://www2.rgu.ac.u..... Triangle.jpg

Edited by Mortartube, 08 April 2009 - 10:33 AM.

#19 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:36 AM

Thanks guys...

I'm not ignoring you by the way, all your suggestions are going into my notebook!
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#20 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

Notebook! That is far too organised for me. Lol

#21 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:35 PM

Hey Phil,

Check out these websites;-

http://www.sciencebo...ments/index.php

http://scifun.chem.w.../HOMEEXPTS.HTML

http://www.hunkinsexperiments.com/

#22 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:27 PM

There is a whole group of "Chemistry is interesting" bits on you tube, by Nottingham Uni Chem department.

Also Mike Bang -member here but infrequent visitor- does this sort of stuff with Brighton Uni. Pop him a message.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#23 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:21 PM

Phil

I've actually done lectures for similar aged kids as part of the RSC's "Chemistry At Work" thing. I don't have my notes to hand, but I'll try and find them if you want. The highlight of the last but one group was one lad who looked like something out of the Beano querying was it really necessary to mill BP for 12 hours. I said it was, to which the reply was "but Sir, waiting for that long must be really boring!!!" so I explained about the one legged stools that the mill operators had to stop them nodding off whilst on the job. He seemed puzzled by this for a moment, until his face suddenly lit up and he turned to his teacher and said "Miss, that just what we need for your lessons!"
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#24 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:41 PM

Look around this vid. He's done several. The Prof might even assist your efforts or give ideas.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#25 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:52 PM

Thought peeps might be interested to hear how this course went.

All sessions were illustrated with lots of pics and films. I ran them for groups of about 12 from year 7 & 8 (11 - 13 year olds)

Smokey things were done in a fume cupboard.
Anything potentialy dangerous was fired using a small electrical remote, but I always let the kids press the buttons. This proved very popular!

Session 1 - Burning.

Safety talk
Fuel/Heat/Oxygen
Extinguish candle in sealed jar/Kindle flame in jar of oxygen.
Show KNO3 can produce oxygen
Mix up a green mix and show it burns
Show how much faster manufactured BP burns.
Show black match and that it burns faster when enclosed.
Fire 2 gms of BP in a tube inside a photocopy paper box (blows lid off)
Fire 1g of flash powder to show mixtures have different energies.

Outside

Fire a large cremora to show that fine powders burn
Repeat photocopier box experiment with 2g of flash - box destroyed!
Fire a 3" shell

Session 2 - Colours & effects

Show metals can burn (Magnesium ribbon)
Show effect of adding metal powders to green mix.
Ram a tube with whistle mix and show effect.
Get class to test various salts to see the colour of the flame.
Burn a green fountain mixture.
Fire a red lance

Outside

Fire a large green liquid fire bomb
Fire large metal gerb
Fire 2 large whistles

Session 3 - Rockets

Explain principles of rocket propultion using wheely chair!
Show how a model rocket is constructed.
Provide finned tubes, nosecones, parachutes and motors etc. Get kids to make up rockets.

Outside

Fire rockets

All in all it went pretty well. The parent's prejudices were already ingrained (Sir, all fireworks should be banned because they are so dangerous...). Hopefully set a few things straight and showed that science can be cool and fireworks are fun.

Big explosions were the most popular - no surprise there then. Pretty hard work, but worth the effort I think.
If anyone want more accurate details of the programme and equipment lists etc. I would be happy to put them together.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#26 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:22 PM

For my sins, my school wants me to run a series of practical 'Science Clubs' (4 1 hour sessions after school - 1 lot for year 7 one lot for year 8 and possibly another lot for gifted and talented) about the science of fireworks.

Now I have quite a few ideas of my own, but I'd be interested to see what you lot have to add.

1) We are talking 11-13 year olds, so it's got to be interesting, simple and fast-moving or I'll loose them...
2) Got to have lots of practical experiments the kids can do themselves (in a school science lab or grounds).
3) Need some spectacular demos to end with.
4) We have a budget, but only a modest one.
5) Groups of about 12 kids.

I'm also sure you can put forward 101 reasons why I should not be even thinking of this, but I'm more interested in hearing practical things I can do...

Over to you!

i have read about a volcano experiement, being done with anaotonay trisulphide (ignore speeling), supposed to be a typical school experiement.

#27 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:02 PM

i have read about a volcano experiement, being done with anaotonay trisulphide (ignore speeling), supposed to be a typical school experiement.

If you see from the post before you, this is all pretty well done and dusted, but thanks for the suggestion. The idea was to be very exciting and far from typical, which I think I achieved.

You may be thinking of an Ammonium Dichromate fountain. This is quite a fun one, but not really fireworks related. Also, hexavalent Chromium is now considered a carcinogen.
Posted Imagethegreenman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users