16 replies to this topic

#1 knackers

knackers

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:32 AM

i read a funny short news break today in our local paper, Spain has the running of the bulls at pamploma, but get this"

Newzealand has the running of the sheep :lol: , its under scrutiny at the moment because a few rouge sheep jumped the barrier and trampled a local, putting her in hospital,

i was wondering if others here have customs peculiar to their neck of the woods, like the running of the rabbits or some other custom that may be a little quirky

#2 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:54 AM

Look no further than the UK!

One of my faves is 'Cheese Rolling' where a load of chaps chase a rolling cheese down a nearly verticle slope! Broken bones every year, but not been stopped by H&S yet thank god!

Cheese Rolling
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#3 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:39 AM

Although it's around a 40min drive I did go to Haxey, for the 'Haxey Hood' a few years ago. Certainly a strange day out, and I ended up in the 'Sway' :ph34r:

http://www.independe...air-728474.html

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Edited by portfire, 06 April 2009 - 10:58 AM.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#4 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

Mayfield in East Sussex has the festival of St Dunstan & the Devil, where they re-enact the story of St Dunstan being tempted by the Devil and the Devil being grabbed by the nose with the blacksmiths tongs the Saint was holding.

They also fire an anvil with gunpowder. An old tradition that Blacksmiths used to perform at weddings.

link here

http://www.stdunstan...ndstdunstan.htm
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#5 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:56 PM

Tar barrel rolling - Ottery St Mary I think
Lewes Bonfire societies
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#6 dogsbody

dogsbody

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:41 PM

Tar barrel rolling - Ottery St Mary I think
Lewes Bonfire societies

they dont roll em, they light em and run like #### with em on their shoulder!

#7 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:14 PM

I didn't mention Lewes as I am in one of the societies.

What's peculiar about throwing a flaming tar barrel in the river, marching through exploding squibs dressed a viking and burning the Pope?

#8 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:11 AM

I didn't mention Lewes as I am in one of the societies.

What's peculiar about throwing a flaming tar barrel in the river, marching through exploding squibs dressed a viking and burning the Pope?

Seems perfectly natural to me, but then I was dropped on my head as a baby and it never did me any harm *! :mellow: :wacko: :blush: :unsure: :rolleyes:
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#9 knackers

knackers

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

Your history guys is just absolutely fantastic, from Brian and the popular peoples front, to the roman invasion right through the dark, middle ages and on through the med evil times. Its great to see and hear of centuries old traditions have kept up in to these modern times, Blessed are the cheese makers ( rollers ), half a pound of gravel, 2 flat rocks and 1 with points please, “

#10 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:08 AM

It always seems to me that old traditions often struggle to stay alive, not because of a lack of interest, but someone decides that it is dangerous or racist or offends someone of a differing religion.

The problem as I see it, is if we let centuries old traditions die out because of the way we think now, they will be lost forever. Points of view will change in the future and people will wonder why we let such long standing ceremonies go, in the same way that many wonder why a number of mediaeval buildings were demolished in the 50's and 60's to make way for blocks of offices or to widen roads. They will never return.

Take the cheese rolling. How long before it dies out because someone sues the organisers and they eventually give up because they are afraid it will happen again? We are living in an increasingly sterile society.

There is only excitement when there is a danger or a perceived danger. So go out and be dangerous. (As long as it falls within HSE guidelines of course).

Edited by Mortartube, 07 April 2009 - 10:08 AM.

#11 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:20 PM

Up here we have the famous gurning competition http://www.whitehaven.org.uk/gurn.html. However I do like that place in Greece where they fire rockets at each other's churches - great fun!
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#12 dogsbody

dogsbody

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:58 PM

AfterBridgwatrer carnival we also have squibbing (these squibbs are only made for Bridgwater carval and no one else!)

#13 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:36 PM

We used to make your big Bridgewater squibs ar Wells for a while. Big gerbs.

#14 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

Up-helly-aa is also a good one for pyrotechnics.

At the particular one I've been to, there tends to be a nice amount of marine para-flares along with the 'normal' fireworks. I have yet to see anyone do a modified boat though....

Get googlling if you have no idea what I'm on about : )

#15 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:59 AM

Up here we have the famous gurning competition http://www.whitehaven.org.uk/gurn.html. However I do like that place in Greece where they fire rockets at each other's churches - great fun!

Just for Pyrotrev here's those nutters in Chios, Greece. This is the best footage I have seen of this tradition.

http://www.youtube.c...re=channel_page

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users