Photo

Brace yourselves chaps (who buy consumer stuff)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:58 AM

Well, word is that prices are going up by something like 30%-50%.

Ouch.

A lot of that could be blamed on the poor exchange rate, and general economic changes.

What this may well mean is smaller fireworks in bigger boxes. Could also mean that businesses are covering the rise somewhat out of their profile margins- often the case in times of economic slowdown. This could mean less scope to do buy one get one frees.

Still, it might be a little premature to speculate.

Edited by David, 07 April 2009 - 02:59 AM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#2 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:09 PM

The importers I work with seem to be trying to do things like going from 30mm down to 25mm calibre (with the sme effect), dropping cakes from 64 to 49 shots to keep retail price rises acceptable, but gone are the days of big cheap displays I'm afraid. It's the same for cat 4 too, the exchange rate id the biggest factor, thanks for devaluing our currency Mr. Brown, you idiot.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#3 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:00 PM

Yeah, I think we might see some slimming down of pyro in the coming year(s).

I'm just checking out some previews for Brothers 2009- a decent new range (well, new packaging- can't say if effects will be new without seeing it) seems on average to be about £1 a shot.

There is also "Hercules II" at something like £90. 107 shots, which I think it was last time. Probably (well, almost certainly) a black powder version of the old favourite. Credit to them for calling it " II" rather just keeping the same name and artwork and changing the effects!

Top of the range (from what I've seen) is 107 shots "midnight" at £150.

Brothers was dead popular in 2007, and stocked by a lot of shops in 2008.

Edited by David, 08 April 2009 - 04:25 PM.

#4 cpfireworks

cpfireworks

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:00 AM

Yeah, I think we might see some slimming down of pyro in the coming year(s).

I'm just checking out some previews for Brothers 2009- a decent new range (well, new packaging- can't say if effects will be new without seeing it) seems on average to be about £1 a shot.

There is also "Hercules II" at something like £90. 107 shots, which I think it was last time. Probably (well, almost certainly) a black powder version of the old favourite. Credit to them for calling it " II" rather just keeping the same name and artwork and changing the effects!

Top of the range (from what I've seen) is 107 shots "midnight" at £150.

Brothers was dead popular in 2007, and stocked by a lot of shops in 2008.

Brothers prices have hardly altered for 2009 unlike most other companies. Also I have seen all the new videos and I think you will all be very pleased. Oh and yes they are all new items not repackaged stuff. It is hard to believe all the new stuff is 1.4g! some of it goes with a heck of a thump. Just wait until you see midnight you will forget all about hercules lol.

#5 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:45 AM

I guess when they are charging £30+ for a 16 shot item then their prices were already at the high end :)

#6 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

Oh and yes they are all new items not repackaged stuff. It is hard to believe all the new stuff is 1.4g!

Yeah- this is a good thing- new range=new spec.

That said, I'm sure 107 shot Midnight will be ace, but in this credit crunch times even at a discount it might be out of most people's price range. Hard one to call really.

#7 cpfireworks

cpfireworks

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:59 PM

Yeah- this is a good thing- new range=new spec.

That said, I'm sure 107 shot Midnight will be ace, but in this credit crunch times even at a discount it might be out of most people's price range. Hard one to call really.

trust me when compared to dynasty from FI it looks a bargain and some of the effects are jaw dropping! David Are you a stockist or just an enthusiast? PM me

and well as for the 16 shotter.. you do have to pay for quality im affraid same as everything in life. But this year it looks a bit of a bargain.

Stu have you seen the new videos yet? are you planning on stocking any new stuff or just the stuff you are importing yourself?

#8 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

trust me when compared to dynasty from FI it looks a bargain and some of the effects are jaw dropping! David Are you a stockist or just an enthusiast? PM me

I'm an enthusiast- Firework Factory in Lancaster is my closest shop- I was their "man" on the UKFR last season, posting deals on their behalf etc- but I don't work for them or make buying decisions for them etc. I havn't been in since before Christmas.

Feel free to PM, but no- I'm not in the trade.

Edited by David, 13 April 2009 - 05:40 PM.

#9 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

Yeah, I look forward to seeing their new range and effects!

They really impressed in 2007.

Edited by David, 13 April 2009 - 05:45 PM.

#10 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

and well as for the 16 shotter.. you do have to pay for quality im affraid same as everything in life. But this year it looks a bit of a bargain.

Stu have you seen the new videos yet? are you planning on stocking any new stuff or just the stuff you are importing yourself?

I have seen the videos and I must say I was pretty impressed with what I saw.

Whilst I appreciate you have to pay for quality, you also have to be able to sell that same item in your shop and I am afraid I just couldn't sell an item that weighed in at over £2 per shot.

I like a lot of the Brothers items, have sold them myself in the past and who knows they may make up part of our retail range again this year :)

#11 cpfireworks

cpfireworks

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:06 PM

Yeah, I look forward to seeing their new range and effects!

They really impressed in 2007.

David if you go along to your local pyro stockist of choice.. I know they should have the new videos for you to look at as they were taken there today :rolleyes:

Stu give us a call and I will bring you along the good quality recordings of the new stuff. The new £15-£20 cakes should be a great seller for you.

#12 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

cpfireworks- Are you a retailer/enthusiast, or connected to Brothers? No problem either way, of course- it's just useful to know. B)

Edited by David, 13 April 2009 - 11:06 PM.

#13 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

cheers Dave, I will drop you a line and get some decent video from ya ;)

#14 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:58 PM

Given what is going on at the moment, what I think we will see less of in 2009 is the heavily discounted (from RRP) firework.

#15 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

What makes you say that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users