Photo

Brace yourselves chaps (who buy consumer stuff)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Manchester Fireworks

Manchester Fireworks

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:42 AM

Hi

I have receved new catalogues from brightstar fireworks international and black cat and the prices seem a lot more expensive than last year - It is the last thing that fireworks shops need when people are cutting back on their spending anyway.

When customers come in hoping to get a better deal because of the recession and have to pay 25% more it will be a shock to them

Nothing we can do but wait and see how the next season pans out and hopefully get some cheap deals nearer the time.

www.manchester-fireworks.com

#17 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:50 PM

When customers come in hoping to get a better deal because of the recession and have to pay 25% more it will be a shock to them

Hardest hit, I think, will be the bigger single ignitions. On little cakes £5 to £6.25 is quite an increase, but one which doesn't seem too bad.

However, £89.99 to £112.50 is much more noticable.

Edited by David, 27 April 2009 - 11:50 PM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#18 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:15 PM

Hardest hit, I think, will be the bigger single ignitions. On little cakes £5 to £6.25 is quite an increase, but one which doesn't seem too bad.

However, £89.99 to £112.50 is much more noticable.

Of the importers i know, most have been cutting back on tubes per cake.

The SIB`s may well be therefore reduced by say 15secs to cut a few £ off.

25 shot cakes down to 20 etc...

For the non savvy consumer therefore many prices will be very similar but they will get less `bang for buck` ( I hate that term!)

#19 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

I was lucky as I managed to get some reduced stock after New Year from a local shop, at half price. Mainly Cat 2 but a £19.99 Absolute box for £9.99 etc helped. Combined with other bits it's sitting in a friends store so no worries there re storage.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#20 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:14 PM

things are being squeezed in all directions....

rrps are going up
trade prices as a % of the rrp have gone up
trade discounts are going down

it aint looking good :(

#21 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:56 PM

Time to make yer own then.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#22 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

things are being squeezed in all directions....

rrps are going up
trade prices as a % of the rrp have gone up
trade discounts are going down

it aint looking good :(

Yeah, thats what I've been hearing too.

Much lower margins, just at a time when consumer spending is also likely to be significantly lower.

However, it might also mean a lot of the seasonals/temporaries simply say "sod this, it isn't worth it" so this could mean less outlets so more market share for those businesses that stick with it.

IE whilst consumer spending will almost certainly be less, if the number of retailers decreases too then there should be somewhat of a balance. EG It's possible JTF won't now be doing pyro this year.

What concerns me is if we see a rise in over priced and overpackaged garbage, people might be tempted to buy that, and then be put off fireworks totally.

I'm sure that people reading threads such as this are sensible enough to know that price rises are unavoidable, and be prepared to pay a bit more for decent fireworks this year. However, we are no doubt a tiny minority.

Edited by David, 29 April 2009 - 01:17 PM.

#23 Thudkaboom

Thudkaboom

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

I'm an enthusiast- Firework Factory in Lancaster is my closest shop- I was their "man" on the UKFR last season, posting deals on their behalf etc- but I don't work for them or make buying decisions for them etc. I havn't been in since before Christmas.

Feel free to PM, but no- I'm not in the trade.

I can tell you all from first hand that Chris at The Firework Factory in Lancaster will be stocking Brothers new AND old stuff (there is still some of this about in their mags I hear) this season. Check their website www.thefireworkfactory.com for product updates in the upcoming months.

#24 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:18 PM

I can tell you all from first hand that Chris at The Firework Factory in Lancaster will be stocking Brothers new AND old stuff (there is still some of this about in their mags I hear) this season. Check their website www.thefireworkfactory.com for product updates in the upcoming months.

Hello-

It's best not to post like that, I'd suggest, as it just sounds a bit too promotional.

I like the firework factory too, of course, but fair play is good- if everyone just posted stuff like this the board would get a bit swamped with promotinal posts.

Posting in the style of "such-and-such sells this- here is a direct link," is pretty close to simply advertising! Even if you arn't directly connected to the shop, its probably best to avoid posting in that style.

No worries, welcome to the boards, but yeah- I think this board works well as a discussion board, rather than a promotional board.

Edited by David, 29 April 2009 - 07:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users