bp binder gum arabic

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:54 AM

is it ok to use gum arabic to bind bp? if not why? seems like it's made (well grown) for the job!!
Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#2 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:26 AM

The Maltese use it for timing their Beraq's, though they use a high % of it, adjusting the amount increases or decreases the burn-rate of BP. As long as you keep the %-age low you should be fine.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#3 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:24 AM

The Maltese use it for timing their Beraq's, though they use a high % of it, adjusting the amount increases or decreases the burn-rate of BP. As long as you keep the %-age low you should be fine.

COOL. BP comp gold medal here i come!! Posted Image if it ignites lol.

#4 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:05 PM

Gum Arabic would work as a binder, we use it only for stars and Beraq delays. In Malta they use dextrin and sometimes no dextrin for some shell break charges. In my experience Gum Arabic and black powder would be quite hard to granulate as its very very sticky when damp. The delays use anywhere from 3% - 14% not higer. Barium Carbonate is also used to slow the powder on the delays but not much anymore.

We use SGRS to make lift / burst but Dextrin is one of the best for the job.

Anything bound with Gum Arabic will be very very hard, so if you need rock hard stars use it.

#5 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:22 PM

Gum Arabic is good for making a BP slurry for priming.

At Wells we used a slurry to prime gerbs and also the end of Bickford fuse in shell inserts etc.

For gerbs and rockets etc, just put it in a syringe and squirt a little down the choke. It can also hold fuse in rocket chokes. Just pop the fuse in then squirt a little around it to hold it in. Not too much. Just a small line of it. Of course for gerbs this needs doing before capping.

For inserts, dip the end of the Bickford in the slurry and then dip into some granular BP.

Do NOT use it on colour mixes as it ferments and becomes acidic.

I meant to add that to use Gum Arabic. The granules are dissolved in warm water to make a thin to medium paste. The BP is added and stirred. It dries fairly quickly in a few hours it will be ready so don't make more than you need.

Edited by Mortartube, 16 April 2009 - 12:25 PM.

Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#6 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

I forgot to mention you would have the "facts" on GA Karl :P It was my birthday yesterday so not all my faculties were in order this morning :wacko:

Edited by portfire, 16 April 2009 - 08:22 PM.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#7 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:10 AM

i've just finished making some meal so i'll do a few tests tomorrow ..THANKS ALL..
ffs

#8 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:04 PM

Do NOT use it on colour mixes as it ferments and becomes acidic.

Well... Do not use it in chlorate based ones. Other then the possibility of the acid attacking Magnalium a bit, I see no problems using it to bind Barium nitrate or K/Ammon perchlorate compositions.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#9 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:25 PM

Well... Do not use it in chlorate based ones. Other then the possibility of the acid attacking Magnalium a bit, I see no problems using it to bind Barium nitrate or K/Ammon perchlorate compositions.

i was thinking more of BP binder!!
ffs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users