Photo

Firework manufacture in Jersey (channel icland)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:27 PM

Does anyone know what the laws are on firework manufacture within Jersey? as I know they have a separate government to us and I assume are not part of the EU.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#2 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

According to some of the info I have read, the island is not part of the EU, nor is it part of Great Britain (only a crown dependency), and yes they have there own parliament!

Have tried to find Jersey`s government website for you, but Im not having much luck!

Are you looking to manufacture?,...........might be worth investigating, as it seems that the Tax Havens might be losing there status in the coming years, and therefore may welcome other outside industries/investment in return for jobs for the locals!

The only downside is I can think of, is where your market is on the island (too little perhaps), plus transport costs if you decide to export, but I maybe wrong!

#3 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

You would need a legal professional, fully competent in the Island's affairs. Some UK legislation applies directly, some is applied separately and some UK legislation does not have effect on the Islands. There also may be local legislation.

Should anyone want to manufacture there remember that it's not a cheap labour economy there and any product will have to be approved for transport for sale in the UK.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#4 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:59 AM

I have found 2 laws associated with explosive and firework manufacture within Jersey at the 2 links below. Seems very short compared to our MSER.

First link, some fee information on explosive magazines etc.

Revised Law

I have yet to find license fees though a license is granted by the minister and not an explosive inspectorate like our licenses, maybe though I am not sure this will work out cheaper.

#5 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

Most "small" firework businesses do not export much because of the difficulty complying with all the regulation of various market areas. Manufacture in the Channel Islands would mean passing testing in English to export to the rest of the UK -with UK duty and VAT to add for export to the UK. For export to France expect a full testing regime to be done in French under french supervision and legislation.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#6 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:38 PM

My better Half is from Jersey.

I asked her father about this some time back who is now a retired police officer there. He put it simply to me when i asked about starting a display company there... it went something like...

We have our own government,,,

They choose most things on whether or not they collectively like the person applying for a licence or not. You can meet all requirements and they will quite often still say no. They like things as is and not change.

I wouldnt bother as they will mess you around and it will cost you alot of money.

Does anyone remember Rocket Man from Jersey?? Well he`s still sleeping in a caravan in a quarry ( over a year on ) next to 2 containers of bottle rockets because the state officials wouldnt let him fire them on the beach.

Its not an easy place to get a permit for anything, fireworks manufacture i can almost 100% say wouldnt be permitted there.

#7 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:58 PM

I'm pleased to say Terry is a member of the society. I am sure many of us are aware of his unfortunate plight!!

#8 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:03 PM

I'm pleased to say Terry is a member of the society. I am sure many of us are aware of his unfortunate plight!!

Could somebody alaborate ,i have not heard this story.

#9 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:10 PM

http://www.timesonli...icle4360277.ece

#10 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:24 AM

My Gfs family know Terry :) as she is from Jersey herself. It looks like my second attempt to try and find a more suitable place to go about setting up a factory is out of the window :(. I am not sure if England will ever be suitable for both display manufacture and commercial manufacture with its poxy regs and high price fees.

Edited by pyrotechnist, 22 April 2009 - 11:25 AM.

#11 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:23 PM

http://www.timesonli...icle4360277.ece

Cheers Richard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users