51 replies to this topic

#1 Matt

Matt

Another Aussie Trying To take Over

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 01:12 PM

Thats right! its my time to be annoying. Just curious as to what everyones greatest pyro accomplishments are? or even just what you are working on recently.

My latest devices have been cakes, Ive sorta stpped making them and started making larger shells. Im waiting to set off a few2.5 inch shells. I made a 1-1/4inch shell rack today.

I havnt really got a great accomplishment as of yet.....

-Matt
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#2 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 01:24 PM

havnt had much time lately for pyro but the red comp is my latest accomplishments and im working on some fountains containing 30-150 mesh flitter Al. made one the other day and was very dissapointed to see that there wasnt even many sparks of any kind. i used meal with extra C and flitter Al and rammed it into 12mm diam, 50mm long tube. made some great flash maroons lately aswel using the flitter Al mixed in with the 70/30 flash to get great Al sparks.

#3 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 07:57 PM

I'm working on some rockets with 2 1/2 inch ballshells (tennisball as a former)I made one today and I must say it performed absolutely amazing!!Very nice round spread of stars :D.

I filmed it but my camera skills are pretty poor <_< .i just got a few tail ends on video.
I will make more soon, but for the time being you have to take my word for it.
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#4 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 06:54 PM

I think a damn good achivement for Richard and prbably no so much myself was getting the BPS from a few emails to what it is today.
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#5 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 07:10 PM

How did you and Richard set up UK Rocketry?

Stuart

#6 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 07:21 PM

In 2001 I setup UK Rocketry, having talked to Steve via email for the first time in 2000. The first incarnation of the site was online by late 2001, with a revamp in 2002 and here we are in 2003!

#7 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 08:53 PM

Jerronimo how do you lay the paper strips on the ball shell. Do you just put loads of paper pieces on it or long paper strips on the former? I put mine in a special pattern like the Chinese make their chrysanthemum star shell casings. Haven?t thou made one proply yet.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#8 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 08:55 PM

I have made some display shells latly. :P

#9 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 09:02 PM

Richard? Did you and steve type the scripts out your self?s for the forum or did it in a program.

#10 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 09:14 PM

The forum is a program made by Invision. Look at the very bottom of the page for a link.

Stuart

BTW Good work on the spelling

Edited by Stuart, 20 November 2003 - 09:14 PM.

#11 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 07:49 AM

:D Haha thanks now started typing a bit slower and running them thru a spell checker and looking after a rote it to se if there is any mistakes or not.

#12 AngryRhyno

AngryRhyno

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 04:40 PM

Hello people,
Accomplishments to date.... (not personally, but I was very involved in both) Firing the first 24" shell in the UK and assisting in the world record simultanious rocket firing, both in Jersey, uk.
The big shell firing was a dissapointment, it was foggy as hell on the day and we wanted it to be put off to the next day, but the pissed up bigwigs didn't care or understand how special this shell was and said it would go or not at all. We fired it, there was a massive glow, and a 747 pilot reported it as a massive explosion over the islands, him and co-pilot were the only people to see it (true story). We are waiting for another big show cos we have 10 16" shells in stock!!

Have a nice day

AngryRhyno
from Pyro-pages.com (thank you)......
Terry McDonald of Pyromac Ltd, in Jersey, United Kingdom sucessfully established a new world record on Friday 15th August at a little after 10pm, when 39,210 rockets were fired from the beach at St Aubins Bay, St Helier, Jersey, United Kingdom.

The event was officially adjudicated, the rockets having been counted by the Jersey States Treasurer, Mr George Baird, (whose signature appears on the Jersey banknotes), and the event was recorded by the BBC to be broadcast in November (21st ??) on their Record Breakers programme (and probably Children In Need as well). The launch was sponsored by The Royal Bank Of Scotland International, and so all money raised by the public sponsorship of rockets was able to go directly to charity.

40,000 rockets were supported in trays holding just over 1000 each consisting of two layers of chicken wire about 1ft apart (to support the sticks and hold them streight). The top layer was then laced with raw-match, onto which the visco fuses of the Falcon rockets were layed. The completed trays were then connected with quickmatch, and ignited electically at the centre point from one of our 'Doom Buttons' situated on the sea wall in front of the cameras about 200m away. The whole rig was put in position in the space of just one hour as the tide went out. This was performed with teams of tractors and trailers carrying the trays of rockets.

The noise at ignition was incredible, as all the rockets had a whistle for the motor, and a burst of red, green or crackling stars.

The whole shoot must have lasted about 15 secs.

Of the 40,000 rockets launched only 790 stayed in the trays (though most of these had actually burned up, but were discounted as they had not actually flown).

#13 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 05:37 PM

Jerronimo how do you lay the paper strips on the ball shell. Do you just put loads of paper pieces on it or long paper strips on the former?

I begin with putting a layer of aluminium foil over my former(tennisball)that way the shell will come off easy.

For pasting I use wallpaperglue,and do not cut the kraft in strips with an sissor but shred the kraftpaper in strips.
I do this because this way the edge's of the kraftstrips are much thinner and that way will bond and overlap better.
I use the chinese way of pasting i think.

I must say the overall endresult is pretty good(I only made about six) but as allways practice make's perfect.

Edited by Jerronimo, 21 November 2003 - 05:39 PM.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#14 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 10:36 PM

yer the Chinese way is to make triangle pieces of paper and past all around the shell formor and put it in a mould.

Edited by pyrotechnist, 22 November 2003 - 04:04 PM.

#15 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 10:43 PM

Pyrotechnist - please go back and add you your posts rather than posting 3 or 4 1-line posts if they are one-after-the-other. It sort of takes the pi** when people are putting together detailed and meaningful posts, only for them to be 'out posted' by one-liners. Not that number of posts mean anything of course, its whats in them that counts.

The 'Edit' button is on the top right corner of a post.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users