59 replies to this topic

#1 StephF

StephF

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:19 AM

The mind boggles !

I came across a business seller on Ebay who shall remain nameless, offering for sale a large range of chemicals including hydrogen peroxide.

We are not talking about small qtys of weak stuff here either :(

If someone is selling on Ebay and willing to take Paypal that kind of says to me they are not too worried what they sell to whom.

Needless to say our friends in blue received a phone call on the tipline.

If the pyro community is ever to achieve any kind of recognition as competent & safe people these kind of sellers need to be jumped upon quickly.

#2 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:46 AM

Yeah, I'd say you made the right decision. Contacting the person directly might have had negative results- abuse replies back etc.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#3 StephF

StephF

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:52 AM

Well, if he turns out to be genuine he'll likely just receive some advice about being more careful in future.

If not then the sky's the limit.

#4 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:55 AM

H2O2 is retail up to 35% it is used in hydroponics and for sanitising things. -Lots of retail vegetables are grown by controlled nutrient feed.

The ebay lots that worry me most are the ones that go for silly prices! I once saw an old laptop possibly worth £200 go for something like £1700, now either someone had really bad auction fever or there was something in the same package worth more!
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#5 StephF

StephF

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:37 PM

H2O2 is retail up to 35% it is used in hydroponics and for sanitising things. -Lots of retail vegetables are grown by controlled nutrient feed.

Yes I did know about the use of peroxide in hydroponics but I've only ever seen it at 17%

I'm just worried about someone buying a 35% solution and using it for bad reasons

#6 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:59 PM

Needless to say our friends in blue received a phone call on the tipline.

Good luck with that - ever heard of kno3.com?

#7 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:50 PM

I once found (while doing the day job) a page of Bengali text with the chemical structure of a high end high explosive at the bottom as a molecular structure.

Absolutely NO response from the boys in blue - they were not interested. Perhaps they don't expect the general caller to spot molecular structure drawings!

#8 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:39 PM

Must say, all this 'shopping people' stuff makes me a bit nervous.

If you're sure someone is up to no good, then fair enough. But don't get all upset when the boys in blue knock on your door because you have some KNO3 in your workshop...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#9 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:38 PM

If your thinking of the company i am (runcorn area) they are a very professional bona fide company, h2o2 at 100 vol is not that hard to obtain. it's not really who sells it you need to worry about it's the person buying lots of it and i'm sure this company wouldn't hesitate to contact the boys in blue if they had any suspicions!! that said it dosn't hurt to keep an eye out peolple getting killed (allthough worlds apart) won't help our fight for legislation. Also if your thinking of another ebay add this is for the most part quite irrelivant.
Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#10 StephF

StephF

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:04 PM

Must say, all this 'shopping people' stuff makes me a bit nervous.

If you're sure someone is up to no good, then fair enough.

Well I appreciate where you're coming from Phil.

I think it was as much where the product was offered as well as what it was that concerned me.

And at the end of the day I'd much rather have to explain myself to the plods for doing a bit of home chemistry than see another tragedy on the news.

Unfortunately, I have had the dubious "privilege" to see what these home made IED's do to people and it is not nice.

That being said, I did emphasise to the copper I spoke to on the tip line that I expected the company was pukka gen and all above board but I daresay it does no harm to ensure that companies use a little bit of nouse when it comes to what they sell and to whom.

Any company that would happily sell anything to anyone with no qualms so long as the buyer had the readies has only themselves to blame.

#11 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:35 PM

The trouble is that a bottle of baby bio and a pack of loo rolls is "fertiliser and tubes" in red top newspaper parlance and "fertiliser and tubes" can only be used for making bad things in their eyes.

#12 GZ22

GZ22

An Explosive Force

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:07 PM

I recently saw TNP for sale on ebay by an apparently well-known company, and although there are some genuine uses for it such as in microscopy, the apparent ease of purchase over ebay does raise concerns.
Do it safe - Do it right - or - Don't do it at all.

#13 JackFlash

JackFlash

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:15 PM

The ebay lots that worry me most are the ones that go for silly prices! I once saw an old laptop possibly worth £200 go for something like £1700, now either someone had really bad auction fever or there was something in the same package worth more!

Check out the diamond links on ebay.
Who would spend $10,000,000 and pay by paypal.
The ideal way for African arms deal money laundering if you ask me.
Aquilla non capit muscaria

#14 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:28 PM

Check out the diamond links on ebay.
Who would spend $10,000,000 and pay by paypal.
The ideal way for African arms deal money laundering if you ask me.

wow ill take 2 (wonder if paypal would pay up if they didn't turn up lol.

though ebay has got a bad name for selling illegal, and borderline products i suppose the fact that they sell them is not the problem if people want this kind of stuff they will get it one way or another (who knows maybe they are undercover cops selling them and taking a note of the people who buy things like this lol. though its the fact most then send via royal mail even worse badly packed that gives the whole thing a bad name. i feel sorry for the postmen out there with all the dodgy powders ect being delivered :blink:

Edited by PyroPDC, 10 May 2009 - 09:31 PM.

#15 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

Even legitimate ebay pyro sellers tend to overprice their products. I have seen sellers attempting to sell strontium and barium nitrate for about $10/100 grams.

There is one seller from Lithuania who claims to sell 4,000 mesh flake aluminum. Well, several months back, I purchased a pound of this from him, as the price wasn't bad and I was curious.

What I received was actually bright-flake grade paint aluminum which reeked of oil and burned poorly in small 1" nitrate breaks, causing the little stars to just fall downwards. I could see some of the individual particles of aluminum on my finger, indicating this product was very likely near 200-800 mesh.

Another man "sold" a pound of barium nitrate which I never received in the mail, about a year before that.

Take it from me - don't do eBay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users