• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:44 PM

It's impossible to be accurate judging "intent" 100% of the time.

It is a major UK offence to have materials to support a terrorist operation, clearly a tube map is such an item! BUT also every peaceful tourist needs a tube map as they arrive in London, and many diaries have a tube map inside the cover.

The legislation prohibiting hand guns was supposed to eliminate gun murders, it certainly hasn't, I personally feel that the 100,000 sets of licensed eyes and ears were a better deterrent to illegal guns then, than those same eyes permanently irritated by the removal of their once gun privileges.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#32 StephF

StephF

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

It is a major UK offence to have materials to support a terrorist operation, clearly a tube map is such an item! BUT also every peaceful tourist needs a tube map as they arrive in London, and many diaries have a tube map inside the cover.

I agree with you 100%. I think that "possessing information of use to a terrorist" is possibly the worst drafted clause in a piece of legislation ever.

There is no way that possession of information can be criminalised. It could be an offence to obtain a document or to knowingly distribute something but possession of information is just so nebulous.

It would be hard even to prove "possession of information with intent to use it for terrorist purposes" unless you literally catch someone with a fizzing bomb pointing to a map of London with a big arrow saying "This is the target".

#33 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:21 AM

If they want to make life harder and add EVEN MORE restrictions to buying chemicals which may be used for gardening, cleaning, cosmetics, fireworks or even b**bs then why do we not also put licenses on knifes, hammer, pens, pencils, rulers, razor blades, spades, cigarettes, pharmaceutical drugs (used wrongly) etc all of which kill more people than any firework, chemical or b**b would.

I am sick of hearing about terrorists, whit pissing whooo, this is the type of thing they want MASS PANIC. Soon we will not be able to go out the front door because we will all be scared of the next terrorist strike due to the government and media over populating peoples scared minds with useless shit. Give the media a bush and a pack of matches and you will have an headline stating 'Huge forest fire sweeps through England' they have to over hype a story just to get paid so what comes out of a paper take it with a grain of salt much like the guy at the pub saying he is rich.

England is no longer England as the media and the government and certain small minority groups have split people apart. Once we all used to be social and an actual country but now..... what the hell have we become? We are more like that spider running away from your foot trying to kill it. I believe people need to stand up and fight for what is right instead of letting a few ass wholes do it for us.

Next time I want a map I best go in my ninja suit, wouldn't want anyone thinking I was a terrorist now would I!

Hope I haven't offended anyone as that wasn't my intention.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#34 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:58 AM

Well said Pyrotechnist - good rant! :D

Edited by pyrotrev, 27 May 2009 - 11:59 AM.

Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#35 TGR

TGR

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:37 PM

What concerns me is the eBay sellers shipping out Celebration Fountains. Using Royal Mail 2nd class post, so no sig required on receipt.

I rang one guy up and asked if I could have 4 full cartons for a wedding in Ireland..... No problem he said, he'd wrap them up and get them to me airmail if i paid extra !!!!

Reported to Police, eBay and Royal Mail.....result..... as quick as a flash NOTHING HAPPENED.....

still plenty on Fleabay selling these items. :ph34r:

I give up.

#36 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:37 PM

What concerns me is the eBay sellers shipping out Celebration Fountains. Using Royal Mail 2nd class post, so no sig required on receipt.

I rang one guy up and asked if I could have 4 full cartons for a wedding in Ireland..... No problem he said, he'd wrap them up and get them to me airmail if i paid extra !!!!

Reported to Police, eBay and Royal Mail.....result..... as quick as a flash NOTHING HAPPENED.....

I give up.

Seriously, you're being paranoid....I stongly doubt that anyone with the intent of doing harm would order any ammount of celebration fountains. Damn, not cool.....

#37 StephF

StephF

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:04 PM

We are more like that spider running away from your foot trying to kill it. I believe people need to stand up and fight for what is right instead of letting a few ass wholes do it for us.

ass wholes ? Do you mean whole asses or ass holes ? :D

#38 TGR

TGR

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:04 PM

Who said that?

Are you lot talking about me behind my back?
:P

Point I make is twofold:

1. We cannot send fireworks through the post and as a result our prices reflect that we have to use couriers or get someone to deliver especially for us.
2. As an ex Air Traffic Controller I know that 1.4G items will be classed as Dangerous Air Cargo; would you be happy flying to Ireland if you found out the aircraft hold contained dangerous items? http://www.caa.gov.t...d/03-24A en.pdf

Not paranoid, just peed off that the comapanies that obey the rules get shafted by those that couldn't give a toss.

#39 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:40 PM

I give up.

I think that Cat 1 CAN be sent by Royal Mail, in the same way that Cat 1 can be bought off the shelf at Tescos.

The law may have recently changed, but I still think its OK.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#40 TGR

TGR

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:53 PM

I think that Cat 1 CAN be sent by Royal Mail, in the same way that Cat 1 can be bought off the shelf at Tescos.

The law may have recently changed, but I still think its OK.

According to Royal Mail Website you cannot even send a box of matches.

Fireworks (no mention of category) are listed as prohibited items.

Problem is, I send some to you but your 9 year son/daughter gets the package and ends up burning the house down...who's to blame?
:rolleyes:

#41 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:36 PM

I believe people need to stand up and fight for what is right instead of letting a few a** h**** do it for us.

Well said mate!

Very hard to get people to stand up and be counted, but totally ignoring all this bull and getting on with your life is one place to start...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#42 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

Problem is, I send some to you but your 9 year son/daughter gets the package and ends up burning the house down...who's to blame?
:rolleyes:

Well you can ask this question everytime anything happens with anything. Do you sue a company that makes hot plates if you're stupid enough to press your hand on it while it's hot? No....
With such an attitude you wouldn't be able to sell even a packet of peanuts because someone may eat them and die, then their family may sue your ass for selling an alergic person peanuts.... sadly enough this could actually happen so I understand your concerns to a degree.

#43 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

Yes, the last thing we need to do promote hysteria.

Edited by David, 27 May 2009 - 05:46 PM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#44 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

ass wholes ? Do you mean whole asses or ass holes ? :D

Lol didn't notice that, sorry, or maybe at the time I was going for an effect similar to the kid in meet the fockers :>. Phil I ain't sure if it is hard trying to get people to actually fight for personal rights I just think people don't know where to start and always rely on others to do it first, much like someone clapping in a theater and starting the rest off. Thanks pyrotrev it was a relief to get that off my chest :>.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#45 Thudkaboom

Thudkaboom

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:45 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users