#1 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:32 PM

Similar to the rocket pods thread.

Are mines still popular? I'm not sure to what extent the new regs have limited the effect of the "airb0mb mine." Little mines, I've found, are good fun but are not of any massive appeal on shows, especially at Cat 3 distance. Men Shun did a series of small mines in big outer casing- what a clever idea.

However, professional mines can look stunning- but this is beyond the scope of this forum!

There are some bad boy Cat 3 ones, too, but they are not stocked by many places. imbolton do some big ones, as do Fireworks Emporium, I'd say most of a specilist effect- ie to open a show perhaps.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#2 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:37 PM

Firework Emporium, three fingered jacks are the only god Cat 3 mines in my opinion.

I like them in proper displays but in cat3 displays can look a bit crap with safety fountains and The pre loaded mortor tube ones are too expensive.

Sequenced mine lifts are fantatsic though....

#3 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:02 PM

Mine effects in cakes can look really good, too- Quantum Leap from Planet was a hit.

Also Kimboltons Rainbow Bombard does this effect very well.

What I don't think works well is when a bombette is ejected with a bit of a mine effect too, usually lost on the crowd. EG Men Shun's Nuclear Weapons tried that.

Edited by David, 27 May 2009 - 09:03 PM.

#4 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:39 PM

Sadly gravity and simple balistics mean that small mines don't lift far so don't last long. The bigger mines like the Kimbolton Stromboli range last a little longer so are really nice to look at but they are still £15 or so for 5 seconds max

Mine cakes like Golden Eye do look good though.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#5 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:12 PM

Mine cakes like Golden Eye do look good though.

I'd forgotten about that one!

#6 cpfireworks

cpfireworks

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:55 AM

have you seen the new fıre and diamond mines from brothers? they pack one hell of a punch. I know I work for brothers but these are the best cat 3 mınes at a reasonable prıce I have seen for some tıme well worth a look.

I always lıked the crackle bombs from cosmıc are they still as good as they uısed to be?

#7 parachutelight

parachutelight

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:25 PM

I have always liked mines especially the air bomb ones like Kimbolton's "Jack in the Box"and Cosmic's"Crackle Bomb"but i find they are very difficult to get hold of now.There are some good smaller mines on the market that i was impressed with from Epic and T.N.T.But a lot of the others seem to have the same effects such as colours and crackle and i find them a bit boring.I like the big tube mines but they are a bit expensive for the average consumer and are best suited for the bigger displays and when used correctly can be very impressive especially the noisy ones.

#8 SamCT

SamCT

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:06 PM

cosmic's crackle bomb.

love it, brought quite a few last year.

Sam

#9 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:21 AM

I love mines always have done, last year bought 2 packs of Moon Boom mines which were pretty good.

The year before the mine in the World Cube Box was unbelievable.

#10 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:15 PM

It's a shame so many of the fountain start ones seem to feel the need to stick a screeching whistle in them, which is something I can't stand.

#11 Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:17 PM

cosmic's crackle bomb.

love it, brought quite a few last year.

Sam

Gigantic Crab!!! approves vehemently of the X-bomb crackle mine, fantastic value as long as you can make do with the fountain start.

#12 SamCT

SamCT

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:31 PM

true...

the fireworks emporium used to do one called simply '10mm mine' and looked absolutely awesome from the videos on their site, don't think they do it anymore though :(

#13 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:04 AM

true...

the fireworks emporium used to do one called simply '10mm mine' and looked absolutely awesome from the videos on their site, don't think they do it anymore though :(

100mm, more likely? I think these were simply big bore mines, no fountain start, no fancy packaging! But yeah, they can look spectacular.

Could be new regs have scuppered them, not sure what the new regs are for mines, other than the flashpowder restrictions.

#14 SamCT

SamCT

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:50 AM

100mm, more likely?

ooops yes...

how boring would 10 be!

#15 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:57 AM

Fireworks Emporium in London had a few 4" mines on the shelf last autumn, but they said they would soon be reclassified.

The regs for 1.4G mines state <=150g total composition, with no more than 5% flash. Each insert may contain up to 25g composition, each report 2g, each whistle 3g. I would have thought it possible to put together a reasonable mine within those limits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users