Photo

Are you interested in manufacturing fireworks?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you interested in manufacturing fireworks? (94 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you interested in amateur non-commercial firework manufacture?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:39 PM

I am very supprised that this thread has been active for over 24 hours and only 22 votes yes!!! This is really worrying. I really thought there would be hundreds and then slowing to a few a day. Maybe they're all on holidays??
Maybe the 221 views are just all me checking to see who's voted :o

I guess the best bet would be to go to HSE and say 84% of those who voted said yes! sound s better :lol:

Maxman

Edited by maxman, 02 June 2009 - 10:42 PM.

#17 Thudkaboom

Thudkaboom

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:55 PM

:D yes

#18 rr22

rr22

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:27 PM

Would it not be better to approach the HSE and the like to manufacture our own fireworks for our own public paying (commercial) displays (providing it meets british standards),...... albeit with limits on quantities of compounds being manufactured in any one place?,....this would create a further stepping stone/bridge from official hobbyist status to full blown large manufacturing capabilities!

We might get more votes on this basic proposal!

IMHO!

I understood this vote to about be working for an exception similar to that enjoyed by the rocket boys,maybe even a clarification of the "100g. rule"

There were moves toward securing a site for larger scale manufacture by society members,but I'm not sure how that is progressing?

As Phildunford put it,

"I take it here that by manufacturing, Wayne means making any practical device for fun or experiment.

If you've ever put a bit of powder in a tube and lit it, that's what you've done! (or indeed if you want to do that)"

Even this could get one into serious soup in the wrong circumstances.

Edited by rr22, 02 June 2009 - 11:37 PM.

#19 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:15 AM

Come on peeps 365 views and 26 yes. I'v counted 41 on the Forum Members Map!!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#20 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:05 PM

P.S already voted yes
Phew that was close.

#21 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:58 PM

Ive voted Yes but to be fair only on my third visit as I missed the tick boxes on the first two visits!

#22 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:42 PM

agreed i missed the tick box as well, but have now voted yes.

#23 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:29 PM

First thing I did was click yes :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#24 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:47 PM

I am very supprised that this thread has been active for over 24 hours and only 22 votes yes!!! This is really worrying. I really thought there would be hundreds and then slowing to a few a day.

The number of views is very deceptive. I think there are about 40-50 people who check this forum on a regular basis. As such a thread with no replies tends to "stick" at about 40ish views. A thread with replies gets check back a lot, to see and continue the discusssion, so could have hundreds of replies.

Regarding the poll, I click no, as my personal interest lies in buying and using consumer fireworks. I've never really had an inclination towards Chemistry. Basically, I'm just being honest.

I'm happy to watch fireworks manufactured by amateurs and hobbiests, of course, and the vast majority I have seen show a real level of knowledge, skill, dedication and commitment to safety.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#25 TrueBluePyro

TrueBluePyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:57 AM

I said yes....

#26 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:17 PM

I voted yes, but with a few reservations...

To the best of my knowledge, we dedicated UK pyros have had fewer accidents so far than the UK rocketeers. I'd like to see this excellent safety record maintained and promoted by the society. Perhaps we could produce a guideline manual to be issued to all new members? I'd be happy to help.

Once we have our own 'code of conduct' in place, even if informal, we should be in a stronger position to approach the HSE.

Edited by BrightStar, 04 June 2009 - 01:19 PM.

#27 FIZCRACLE

FIZCRACLE

FIZCRACLE

• UKPS Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:59 PM

Hi All,

The society's documentation and legislation committee are looking for a head count of the number of members of the forum who are interested in manufacturing their own fireworks for non-commercial purposes. This information is useful to us to gauge the number of people we need to represent when liaising with the HSE and other authorities.

Please take time to vote.

Kind regards,

Wayne.

Thats a yes here , more details please !!

#28 wayne

wayne

• Admin
  • 422 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:00 PM

I voted yes, but with a few reservations...

To the best of my knowledge, we dedicated UK pyros have had fewer accidents so far than the UK rocketeers. I'd like to see this excellent safety record maintained and promoted by the society. Perhaps we could produce a guideline manual to be issued to all new members? I'd be happy to help.

Once we have our own 'code of conduct' in place, even if informal, we should be in a stronger position to approach the HSE.

This currently on the agenda and is the societies long term goal. At the moment, we are getting clarification of the current regulations. Once this is confirmed an approved code of practise document can be forumlated.

Cheers,

Wayne.

#29 sir steve

sir steve

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:19 PM

Would it not be better to approach the HSE and the like to manufacture our own fireworks for our own public paying (commercial) displays (providing it meets british standards),...... albeit with limits on quantities of compounds being manufactured in any one place?,....this would create a further stepping stone/bridge from official hobbyist status to full blown large manufacturing capabilities!

We might get more votes on this basic proposal!

I make fireworks. You must decide the way to go. I cannot see the 'elf and safty being interested in hobby
fireworks because it is only a matter of time until some kid blows himself up in his bedroom.

I think the club should be thinking of making their own brand. You need a name a theme tune and a web page.
You don't need a factory just yet because we can make them to your spec.

Steve.

#30 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

I make fireworks. You must decide the way to go. I cannot see the 'elf and safty being interested in hobby
fireworks because it is only a matter of time until some kid blows himself up in his bedroom.

I think the club should be thinking of making their own brand. You need a name a theme tune and a web page.
You don't need a factory just yet because we can make them to your spec.

Steve.

Steve,

Can't say I really understand this post at all. The first line seems to contradict itself. I think Health and Safety would be very concerned about anyone blowing themselves up.

As a society, we are currently in active dialogue with the HSE who are well aware of what we are doing and generally supportive as long as we stay within the law.

If you seriously believe what you say in the second line, you seem to know very little about UK law or the aims of UKPS. Fireworks must be manufactured in approved factories. They must also be tested to the relevent standards - a process which costs thousands of pounds per item! As much as I would love to see such a thing as a UKPS brand, it's not a practical proposition and has never been a stated aim of the society.

Edited by phildunford, 15 August 2009 - 05:49 PM.

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users