2 replies to this topic

#1 Komodo

Komodo

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:59 AM

Hi Guys,

I am looking, as you may have guessed at producing coloured flames for fire drawings etc, and wondered if anyone had any experience in dissolving salts in alcohol bases... I am thinking that carbonates are the best way forward, although I would appreciate any guidance from the people in the know!

Edited by Komodo, 25 June 2009 - 11:59 AM.

#2 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

Hi Guys,

I am looking, as you may have guessed at producing coloured flames for fire drawings etc, and wondered if anyone had any experience in dissolving salts in alcohol bases... I am thinking that carbonates are the best way forward, although I would appreciate any guidance from the people in the know!

I'm certain there is a thread covering this in great detail if you search.

Personally I have had great results with Lithium Chloride + Methanol for red, and Boric acid + methanol (with a little Sulphuric acid) for green.

Are there any colours you're looking for in particular? Any other considerations - what do you mean by fire drawings exactly?

#3 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:46 PM

The chlorides tend to be more soluble in n-alcohols but not so in iso-alcohols. However the flame temp of ethanol propanol methanol etc can be low so some things do not give the colour expected of the usual elements.

Le Maitre sell coloured flame liquids and gels for event and SFX use.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users