#211 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:09 PM

Right guys....pillbox stars!

Who has had experience in making them, they seem a lovely type of star and i want to start making them for shells. I have never seen a pill box star shell in action before. Also what defines the star composition? Does it need to be fast burning or slow burning? I have 6 of them ready for a 4 inch shell just to see what happens, they are a calcium carbonate orange formula.

Cheers

I would think someone must know about them, or had experience with making and firing them?

#212 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:26 PM

See Passfire for an article on making them. Lancaster describes the construction as a few turns of paper, blackmatch, and a relatively slow burning composition.

#213 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:13 PM

See Passfire for an article on making them. Lancaster describes the construction as a few turns of paper, blackmatch, and a relatively slow burning composition.

Cheers Richard,

I have made them before, never used in a shell though. I hear some people say use a fast composition and others say use a slow composition. Oh well lets see what happens in two weeks when i fire a few including a ring of pill box stars! :D

#214 chemicalwazi

chemicalwazi

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:21 AM

Dont know if anyone else has tried this, but if you take Red Blesser and substitute Lithium Carb for Strontium Carb you end up with a nice pink :D
"The Saltpeter is the Soule, the Sulphur the Life, and the Coales the Body of it"

#215 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:04 AM

Dont know if anyone else has tried this, but if you take Red Blesser and substitute Lithium Carb for Strontium Carb you end up with a nice pink :D

Interesting - I've always wondered about Lithium carbonate reds/pinks. Sounds like a much better way of producing pink than tweaking a red Strontium Carbonate formula.

UnitedNuclear says that Lithium Carbonate can be used with Cobalt oxide to produce " interesting color effects" but whenever I've asked about Cobalt salts being used for colourants in the past, I've received a resounding "No - you idiot" kind of response.

Any thoughts?

#216 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:17 AM

Cheers Richard,

I have made them before, never used in a shell though. I hear some people say use a fast composition and others say use a slow composition. Oh well lets see what happens in two weeks when i fire a few including a ring of pill box stars! :D

Karlfoxman. The stars burn bright and are long burning. You are looking at an effect that lasts about 5-7 seconds. You should have fewer of them in a shell then regular stars, so you want very bright formula - magnesium / magnlium is very popular. You should use also more lift and longer delay - those should burst at higher alt.

#217 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:44 PM

Lithiumcarbonate is quite expensive and Lithiumnitrate made from it is quite hygroscopic. So I think finetune is te way to go :D

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#218 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 04:14 PM

And it is a very nice pink too!! Thanks for that Big i knew you would know somthing about them. They dont seem to be made/used much. I guess this is due to the production costs.

#219 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 07:35 PM

On the PFP database is listed Veline Blue Metallic Fueled Stars:

Potassium perchlorate 53
Red gum 9
Magnalium, -200 mesh 6
Black copper oxide 14
Parlon 14
Dextrin 4

I have now got 50g of Magnalium and 50g of Black Copper Oxide (thanks to a forum member here :D ) but I don't have Parlon, I have been told PVC can be used instead, but how much should I use, the same amount or more/less?
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#220 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:53 PM

On the PFP database is listed Veline Blue Metallic Fueled Stars:

Potassium perchlorate 53
Red gum 9
Magnalium, -200 mesh 6
Black copper oxide 14
Parlon 14
Dextrin 4

I have now got 50g of Magnalium and 50g of Black Copper Oxide (thanks to a forum member here :D ) but I don't have Parlon, I have been told PVC can be used instead, but how much should I use, the same amount or more/less?

depends what you mean by PVC. PVC pipe won't work.

#221 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:56 PM

As in Polyvinyl Chloride, the white powder, very fine, similar consistancy to dried flour.

#222 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:00 AM

As in Polyvinyl Chloride, the white powder, very fine, similar consistancy to dried flour.

ah yeah, that's the good stuff. so where did you pick up the pvc powder btw?

#223 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:05 AM

I would rather not disclose my source, I don't know wether they would be happy with that or not.

#224 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 10:08 AM

It is possible to replace the parlon with PVC. The color of the star may be effected differently depending on which star is modified.
I have found parlon to burn faster and give a larger flame with KClO3 then PVC. --> The stars might be harder to light with PVC, but I don't think it will be a problem.
It is allways good to make a small test batch.

#225 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:48 AM

I would rather not disclose my source, I don't know wether they would be happy with that or not.

fine, it should work, try it and see.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users