• Please log in to reply
633 replies to this topic

#316 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:32 AM

It should work but you will need to increase the amount of PVC to use. This is because PVC does not donate the amount of chlorine that Parlon does.

I would think upping the ratio from 15 to 18.5 should work ok.....

#317 The Pyromaniac

The Pyromaniac

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:47 AM

List your star Formulas here

[font=Arial][size=2]
hello i m new to this site
m sorry if i have posted this at the wrong place but can someone help my young cousine who wants to make gunpowder without dextrin, ball mill, & weighing machine. His estimate is always incorrect; even I cannot put the exact quantities by estimate. Can anyone help us? And pls if u introduce me to this site... I'll b thankful 2 u.
M an amateur so dont be angry if whatever I post is very easy/too old. And by the way how can we exactly post??

Here are some formulas for some stars-
KMnO4

(This part has been deleted by BigG - it suggest formulas that are using KMnO4 - that are over sensetive. Please read discussion regarding KMnO4 in other threads)

Green
I dont remember the exact quantities; I experimented with it a few yrs ago
Barium nitrate + sulphur + aluminium + dextrin
I remember its not exactly green stars but silver stars in green flame but it still looked nice
m not responsible if the green one comes out 2 b a bit dangerous

Edited by BigG, 04 February 2008 - 10:43 AM.

#318 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:13 PM

"u can also get silver sparks if u mix 2 parts magnesium with 1 part KMno4"

That's an extremely dangerous, friction sensetive flash powder - not a star.

We don't use Kmno4 here for very good reason - if you don't understand why, a quick search will bring up discussion on the subject.

#319 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

Im suprised you have not had an accident already, as Creepin says Kmn04 is not used. Its easily decomposed over time by other substances! Its likely to go off with little effort and is highy dangerous in pyrotechnics. I suggest you re-think what your doing before you or others get hurt. To add magnesium makes a very very dangerous mixture, magnisium burns with very high temperature and it will give you very serious burns and maybe remove part of you depending on some other factors. Also most of your so called 'stars' do not have a binder so none of the mixtures are usable. Message to others, these compositions are dangerous and should be advised not to be used.

Barium nitrate is also highly toxic, if you have to use it then wear all the proper ppe as it can make you very ill and kill you with tiny amounts in your body.

Could you also use correct English please as short hand is not that good for people who are reading, e.g. 'to' instead of '2'

Stay safe
Stay green

Edited by karlfoxman, 05 January 2007 - 04:01 PM.

#320 StarScream

StarScream

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:47 AM

can someone help my young cousine who wants to make gunpowder without dextrin, ball mill, & weighing machine. His estimate is always incorrect; even I cannot put the exact quantities by estimate.

It's called a scale, and if you or your cousin don't have access to one then you most definitely shouldn't be messing around with pyrotechnics! This is a hobby that requires great care and precision... not just mixing stuff together to see what happens. Also, you won't get too far making good BP without a ballmill.

We are all here to learn and help each other. I highly suggest you do a lot more reading, and buy an accurate scale before going any further.

Stay Safe
"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

#321 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:26 PM

"The pyromaniac's" reply to my post:

"magnesium + KMnO4 is not so dangerous
people on this site atleast know what is safer
Dont think that you are the only expert on this site"

This is going way off topic, but I'm quite worried about this guy!

#322 Wyvern

Wyvern

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:43 AM

I tried a nice glitter out the other day based on Better Pearl, Source: Lloyd Scott Oglesby

Potassium Nitrate 47
Sulfur 18
Barium Nitrate 10
Charcoal Airfloat 10
Aluminum, atom, spher, 400 mesh, 14 micron 10
Dextrin 5

i substituted 5 parts of the Al for 5 Parts Ti

Here was the Result Test

On another note can anyone recommend a comp that gives a thicker tail?

#323 Wyvern

Wyvern

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:16 PM

Does anyone have any formulae for stars containing Antimony metal powder? i have some coming from Keten this week, i was thinking of trying a simple Al glitter formula and relacing the Al with it.

any ideas?

Edited by Wyvern, 13 February 2007 - 09:35 PM.

#324 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:54 PM

What type of Antimony is it? If its chinese needle there are plenty of gliiters using it, some require sodium oxalate too.

#325 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:04 PM

What type of Antimony is it? If its chinese needle there are plenty of gliiters using it, some require sodium oxalate too.

He said antimony metal powder, not the stibnite. Try http://thegreenman.me.uk/, they have the comps, 1 lancaster and 2 davis that I could see, both seem to be basically modified BP with antimony added.

#326 Wyvern

Wyvern

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:26 PM

He said antimony metal powder, not the stibnite. Try http://thegreenman.me.uk/, they have the comps, 1 lancaster and 2 davis that I could see, both seem to be basically modified BP with antimony added.

Indeed i do mean the metal powder and thank you foe the link, i know the site but must have missed the formula page, i usualy use passfire for comps but they only have 1 for a white pilbox star.

Although Karl i do also have Some Antimony trisulphide too, although it is 400mesh and it wasnt advertised as chinese needle so i assumed it was the dark pyro stuff and have been using it as dark flash, i havnt bothered trying it in the glitter as i figured it wouldnt work if it isnt chinese needle.

#327 richard2

richard2

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:44 PM

Hi

I am fairly sure ''Chinese needle'' does not define mesh size but only refers to the fact that it is the natural mineral form of antimony trisulphide as opposed to the synthetic, which I belive is an orange powder.

Regards Rich

#328 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:31 PM

Hi

I am fairly sure ''Chinese needle'' does not define mesh size but only refers to the fact that it is the natural mineral form of antimony trisulphide as opposed to the synthetic, which I belive is an orange powder.

Regards Rich

Chinese needle - ~200 mesh, dark with a definite crystal structure to the particles.
Dark Pyro - 325 mesh, dark, dull, almost black.
"The word unblowupable is thrown around a lot these days, but I think I can say with confidence..."
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
"OK... that shows you what could potentially happen."
--Homer Simpson

#329 Wyvern

Wyvern

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:36 PM

hmm, might be worth lookinh into a solvent for it and recrystallising it as mine is 400 mesh so is pretty unsuitable, anyways enough of my off topic rant :)

#330 Wyvern

Wyvern

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:08 PM

Well ive been Experimenting with some thick blonde tailed stars and have come up with a pretty nice one, its loosely based upon the Win 39 glitter
Here is what it looks like http://tompearceltd.co.uk/W39.wmv

Potassium Nitrate 51
Charcoal Airfloat 15
Antimony Trisulfide - 400 mesh 12
Aluminum, atomised 10
Ferro-Titanium 40-100 mesh 7
Sodium bicarbonate 5
Dextrin 5%

Edited by Wyvern, 07 March 2007 - 09:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users