633 replies to this topic

#76 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:18 AM

Where did you get the elemental Silicon from?

#77 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:23 AM

I'm afraid it was from a lab clearance. I also got 90:10 Magnalium, Titanium and Gallium :D , amongst other things.

I've recently been sent some different grades of solid Titanium to attack with a diamond file - might have a go filing some silicon - I'm not sure wether its properties would allow this :blink:

#78 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 01:13 PM

Creepin Pyro what size was that star in your star Gun Test?. also why do you need a silicon prime?

#79 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 01:29 PM

Silicon creates melted droplets that are very hot and therefore ignite anything that touches them. Those droplets take longer to disintegrate and therefore supply heat to the layer under them for a longer time. When your composition is not easy to ignite, the silicon might stay there long enough to do just that.

#80 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 03:04 PM

Creepin Pyro what size was that star in your star Gun Test?. also why do you need a silicon prime?

I heard silicon was a good, hot prime ingredient due to the reasons BigG outlined. The star was just under 10mm. I don't think the Silicon is absolutely necessary - I just wanted to try it out.

I shall be trying to improve on the Red/Titanium formula by using a much more finely powdered Magnalium, and using Coarse Titanium. Hopefully this should give it a better tail and improved burning charecteristics.

#81 miniskinny

miniskinny

Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:06 AM

I've recently been sent some different grades of solid Titanium to attack with a diamond file - might have a go filing some silicon

Where would one be able to get a diamond file? I have some loyal minions who may be interested in doing some filing for me.
mini
When one plays with fire, one is bound to get burndt.

#82 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 10:21 AM

Look for an industrial tool suppplier. There should be loads of companies which sell them - shouldn't be too hard to find from google. I've also seen quite a few floating around Ebay, relatively cheap.

#83 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 07:43 PM

Question about Gold stars. I know there are several types of charcoal streamer formulas out there but some call for pine charcoal, if I can recall gives a reddish orange color. I like how the pine charcoal hangs for a while but I always loved the nice dim gold, dense, long hanging, drooping, etc shell that they fire in barrages and fill up the sky.

I attached some edited vids from FPM where I found the gold just amazing but could not tell what it was. Thankyou FPM for providing amazing quality video.

Still not sure what firefly effect is so I took a guess.

Any ideas on what best formula for a nice hanging gold star?

Here is video of two different effects both I do not have a clue as to what they are. (Video is 9.5 Mb)

#84 castillareno

castillareno

pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 11:49 AM

I write from Madrid (SPAIN).

The formula that you request is to make this composition , which is applied also for trunks and meteors?

I am very interested in obtaining it, also. I wish that they answer us soon ! :huh:

Edited by castillareno, 21 August 2004 - 11:53 AM.

#85 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 09:39 PM

Hmm :glare:

Looks like glitter. They consists of KNO3, Ba(NO3)2, C, S, Al (atomized) and Fe(III)O. There's a lot of different kinds of similar compstitions. In some comps the S is substituted for antimon-tri-sulphide. Sodium-oxalate is used in yellow glitter. And sometimes other chemicas is used to produce different kinds of gold or white and different "hang times".

I?m going to test a glitter comp from Winokur (No.33) soon. Shimizu calls these stars for "Black powder-metal fire dust compositions".
Sometimes the word twinkel is used, but that is a strobe effect in Shimizu?s book. Lancaster on the other hand calles glitter for twinkel.

No.33 from Winokur
KNO3 - 43%
S - 10
C - 10
Ba(NO3)2 - 13
Al (atom) - 13
Fe(III)O - 7
Dextrin - 4

Yellow twinkel from Lancaster
Meal gunpowder - 70%
Na-oxalate - 10
Antimonysulfide - 8
Al (bright flake) - 7
Dextrin - 5

Sometimes about +1% Boric acid is added to protect from heat developement when nitrate and Al is mixed with water. Shimizu thinks that this ruins the effect, but a fire in the work shop ruins much more!

If you really like long lasting gold, you shold try willow or maby Chrysantemum #8. The only drawback is that glowing coal might drop to the ground and start a fire. Because of this willow is not allowed in some countries.

#86 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:24 AM

I?m pretty sure these golden shells are crysanthmum shells. But not the kind with potassium nitrate but with pottassium chlorate and lampblack.

I?ve seen a video long time ago with these stars and it looked pretty the same.

Beat me if I?m wrong :P

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#87 castillareno

castillareno

pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 02:04 PM

Please, I want to know the PYRO Formula of this PHOTO. :wub:

Effect rain willow,wished effect ORANGE, large and hanging persistent in the sky, and that is used also for trunk, star ? meteor.

As Paul says, in the post of above, I believe that these stars contain lampblack. But I do not believe that they contain any potassium chlorate.
Any formula that contains chlorate (exception H3) is NOT interested to me. :ph34r:

This PHOTO effect (I believe ), contains KNO3 as oxidizer. But I do not know the rest of ingredients that complete the formula. :(

Posted Image

Edited by castillareno, 22 August 2004 - 03:28 PM.

#88 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 07:43 AM

After looking at the picture, I would hazard a guess at the composition being very simular if not the same as that used in a willow shell or waterfall effect shell as both of these shells leave long golden tails with a lot of "hang time"
As Daniel has stated above it will probably require some experimenting but I would start by looking at willow star formulas.
If you can give me a name for the shell in the picture I can prbably find out for you. Alternately I will print off the picture and show it to someone I know that will definately be able to give a formula for the composition used but that may only be in a couple of weeks.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#89 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 08:37 AM

Looking at the photo, I would hazard a guess that this composition is along the lines of one of Shimizus Golden Wave mixes. I don't have a copy of these formulae to hand but idf you search for the PFP database, it's on there.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#90 castillareno

castillareno

pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 03:24 PM

The name is "Crown willow" or "Crown chrisanthemum"

Your sparks hanging softly and long time, in the air... :o

Please, how to make this Formula?

Edited by castillareno, 24 August 2004 - 03:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users