• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Thudkaboom

Thudkaboom

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:13 PM

One video online has someone setting them off in what looks like a backyard, and at least two collide with the roof of the house, and one appears to get stuck!

There is also other footage of them being set off at a wedding, one very nearly drifting into the top of a marquee!

A large launching area is essential.

Yes I agree. Common sense tells us all this but unfortunately, there are people out there with very little sense at all and they bumble through life leaving the rest of us to suffer their consequences. I can feel a rant coming on so I'll get back on topic.

About the wire fuel cell frame: I am researching a form of iron which is designed to rust quickly and breakdown over a period of a few weeks. I have only found a small snippet of info. This method could prove problematic when addressing freight and storage. I need to look into it more. I'll put my findings on here as and when.

Another idea which has just struck me now is using glass fibers or strung out fiberglass. I have seen it in woven rope form before so it's possible to have it as thin as cotton yarn. It's fire proof and will be of less danger to animals, environment and agricultural machinery etc.
This could be a real solution but it does need testing.

#17 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:18 PM

It's surprising just how many people are seeing these and mistaking them for UFOS! UK UFO reports I'm so tempted to make one that has a "flying saucer" type look to it, and setting it off in one of the "flap" areas. That would be cool.

Some of the Chinese Taipai ones I have seen on You Tube are massive!
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#18 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:46 AM

I'm going to be ordering some of the really massive ones- over 2m high, 150cm cubes etc- not cheap (in fact, given that they are basically a bit of paper and some wick, bloody expensive) but still- should be fun.

#19 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:01 AM

I'm going to be ordering some of the really massive ones- over 2m high, 150cm cubes etc- not cheap (in fact, given that they are basically a bit of paper and some wick, bloody expensive) but still- should be fun.

Wow

#20 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:34 PM

Actually, they are perhaps not as expensive as I perhaps thought.

The price of 1 takes into account postage costs (which is nominally "free postage"), which is presumably about £5. So 1 is £9.99, two are £14.99, three are £19.99 etc.

#21 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:25 PM

I've ordered three of the biggest they make- 205cm tall and 100cm at the base- one is pink coloured, so I wonder if we will be seeing any reports of penis-shaped ufos in the local press!

Edited by David, 03 September 2009 - 04:26 PM.

#22 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:12 PM

Well, my big ones came. And they are... massive. Slightly frustrating, perhaps, is the rules- they are (according to their instructions) prohibited from being launched within 50km (31 miles) of an international airport, or 15-20 km (10-13 miles) of a national airport.

not a big deal for me personally, I'm in North Lancashire, so as long as I've cleared 31.25 miles of Blackpool then I'm OK.

But does it limit where they can be used.

That said, it is understandable.

Edited by David, 08 September 2009 - 03:13 PM.

#23 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:25 PM

Has anyone had any success making their own?

This person seems to have managed it well!

Bag balloon...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users