19 replies to this topic

#16 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:05 PM

I actually managed to buy a load of the Astra 'Silver Rain' matches only a couple of years ago. I have only a few boxes left now.

I've been trying to find the site where I got them, but have as yet come up with nothing. It was some kind of party supplies shop which also sold smoke pellets. Any ideas? Never did manage to find any coloured ones but I'd love to see some in person.

Coincidentally, I sent an email to Octavius Hunt asking about the bengals a few days ago. I'll pass on any useful info.

#17 Firefiend

Firefiend

Martin

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:35 PM

While on the subject of Bengal Matches, here are a few more types from my collection which may be of interest.

Shame they now seem to have disappeared - I'd be interested to hear the reply from Octavius Hunt.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There were even Bengal Sparklers!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Thudkaboom

Thudkaboom

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:15 AM

Fantastic Firefiend! You can see from that list the gradual decline of the industry Posted Image . However the "great northan firework company" are advertising "Big Boss" rockets (£40.00 for 2) which are 6oz calibre, could this just be advertsing gimmick? I Don't think parachute items are banned, I've seen them for sale on several occasions, although they were coloured smoke parachute cakes, cosmic branded I think.

Although the powder weight of large rockets has been reduced, Pyromesh allows these items to pass the new packaging requirements for transportation.

#19 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:26 PM

The biggest rockets allowed here in Sweden (for the public) contain 150 grams or 5.3 oz of pyrotechnic composition. Though the mixtures are more energetic than the older ones.
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#20 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:44 PM

It seems they have started making the Bengal Lights again, I recently bought some from Galactic Fireworks, not far from Sheffield. They come in boxes of mixed red & green.

Here are the pictures:
Photo254.jpg
Photo255.jpg

They look like a shellac based composition, when burnt the colours aren't bright and clear like a typical metal fuelled flame, but they're probably using the traditional formula. Is this typical for the old ones too?

The outer coating of them is very smooth, shiny and dark. Feels almost like plastic, completely different to a sparkler. The striker area on the end is also shiny and smooth.

Does anyone know traditional compositions for these? Would love to have a go at making some.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users