4 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:22 PM

I ask this (sincerely) as a hypothetical question.

Is there a market for "live" old fireworks? 80's Standard stuff, pre-80s stuff etc.

I wonder perhaps about the legality of buying and selling old items, which may now technically be classed as Cat 4 (as they havn't be tested to current rules), or indeed may be subject to an outright ban.

Possibly there are exceptions regarding items being traded amongst genuine collectors (esentaially, trading the items as antiques), rather than people who are buying them to use.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#2 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

Is there a market for "live" old fireworks? 80's Standard stuff, pre-80s stuff etc.

There certainly is a market, i collect most stuff, we shoudl have a sale/trade board on this forum!

So what have people got?

#3 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:49 AM

I wonder perhaps about the legality of buying and selling old items, which may now technically be classed as Cat 4 (as they havn't be tested to current rules), or indeed may be subject to an outright ban.

Possibly there are exceptions regarding items being traded amongst genuine collectors (esentaially, trading the items as antiques), rather than people who are buying them to use.

The market for vintage pyro items is very well established. Unfortunately (or fortunately - which ever way you look at it) Ebay has ensured prices have rocketed (sorry Posted Image )!

Any British items from the '70's/'80's & earlier command, what some would see as crazy prices. A small complete selection box from the early '80's can go for well over £100. Obviously the older they are, the higher the price. Dedicated pyro collectors sometimes trade / buy between themselves, at a more "sensible" rate of value!

It's not just fireworks themselves, but posters, boxes, labels etc which are sought after.

I have a modest vintage collection & personally I prefer live examples. Unless made as a dummy, fireworks are often damaged when the powder is removed (which is, strictly speaking, illegal to do). Also the fireworks just dont "feel" right with no powder - they have lost their "soul" Posted Image .
"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

#4 Fozzboy

Fozzboy

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:21 PM

The market for vintage pyro items is very well established. Unfortunately (or fortunately - which ever way you look at it) Ebay has ensured prices have rocketed (sorry Posted Image )!

Any British items from the '70's/'80's & earlier command, what some would see as crazy prices. A small complete selection box from the early '80's can go for well over £100. Obviously the older they are, the higher the price. Dedicated pyro collectors sometimes trade / buy between themselves, at a more "sensible" rate of value!

It's not just fireworks themselves, but posters, boxes, labels etc which are sought after.

I have a modest vintage collection & personally I prefer live examples. Unless made as a dummy, fireworks are often damaged when the powder is removed (which is, strictly speaking, illegal to do). Also the fireworks just dont "feel" right with no powder - they have lost their "soul" Posted Image .

#5 Fozzboy

Fozzboy

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:33 PM

Hi im new here and agree 100% about what you say about the vintage dummy items, they just do not feel right!
so i try to buy live if i can find them.I have quite a few items from 50s 60s 70s and 80s, and do sell on ebay but you cant sell live on there!!!,but quite a few collectors do.

I have a rare Standard Fireworks rocket , it was found in one of their magazines when they stopped production.It is the same size as a size 15 but is made in just plain brown paper, ive been told by an old employee that they used these in the 60s for the public displays.

If anyone wants to see a photo i can put one on here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users