• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 01:16 PM

Does anyone know a UK source for this? I've seen a nice blue formula that uses it.

#2 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 01:49 PM

It?s a main ingredient of copper fungicide that can be found in any garden centre. It will contain about 55% copper oxychloride.

Copper oxychloride is a great chemical. It has the benefit of being both colour donor and a chlorine donor ? however, the formulation of copper oxychloride is not set (you have more then three different formulas for copper oxychloride) and therefore the inconsistency means it is used less this days.

If you have access to nitric acid ? you can make your own quite easily.

#3 tajmiester

tajmiester

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 02:38 PM

What was the 'blue formula' and do you think that 55% is pure enough? Also 'Murphy Traditonal Copper Fungicide' contains 58.8% copper oxychloride.

Wow! :o Look at this: Chemical Suppliers Its a webpage with a list of loads of chemicals and their everyday suppliers. I have never seen so many.

Tris

Edited by tajmiester, 12 November 2003 - 02:48 PM.

#4 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 03:09 PM

What was the 'blue formula' and do you think that 55% is pure enough? Also 'Murphy Traditonal Copper Fungicide' contains 58.8% copper oxychloride.

Wow!  :o Look at this: Chemical Suppliers Its a webpage with a list of loads of chemicals and their everyday suppliers. I have never seen so many.

Tris

I have seen this page so many times. It's not the only address it's on. Very few are useful in any way. Also, please include this information in the general forum. This has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

As for the Fungicide, I really don't know if 55-60% is enough. Try and see :) Still, at about 3? for 28gram - it's quite high price.

#5 tajmiester

tajmiester

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 03:28 PM

Sorry. I just found that page whilst searching for 'copper fungicide'. Bit of a tangent I guess! :unsure:

Tris

#6 lord_dranack

lord_dranack

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 04:08 PM

If you have access to nitric acid ? you can make your own quite easily.

How could one go about doing this?

#7 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 06:09 PM

Actually, I was wrong. You need hydrochloric or Muriatic Acid, which are easier to obtain then Nitric Acid. The instructions according to Kentish:

?Copper oxychloride may be made by laying thin pieces of copper in a dish, and pouring upon them a mixture of half water and half hydrochloric or muriatic acid. The next day remove them and lay them on a board in the shade to dry. When dry brush off the green powder which will be found on the outside with a tooth brush, into a basin of water. After a quantity is obtained, wash it as directed with sulfur, and let it dry in a bag. Test with litmus paper to ascertain it free from acid?.

Basically, after you get the green staff, you will need to wash it repeatedly with cold water mixed with a little bit of potassium carbonate to naturalize the acids. I have not tried this myself, but it looks fairly strait forward. As always, working with acids is always dangerous, and should be done in a proper lab with proper clothing.

#8 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 06:50 PM

Would the equation be

4H2O + 4HCl + 4Cu --> 2CuCl2.Cu(OH)2 + 4H2

Stuart

Edited by Stuart, 12 November 2003 - 06:53 PM.

#9 lord_dranack

lord_dranack

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 06:52 PM

I think muriatic acid is an old name for hydrochloric acid

#10 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 10:52 PM

Would the equation be

4H2O + 4HCl + 4Cu --> 2CuCl2.Cu(OH)2 + 4H2

Stuart

Not sure. There are at least two or three formulations for Copper Oxychloride. I?ll need to get some books out for that :(

#11 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 07:06 AM

I am not sure if the water would be part of the reaction as the Copper and Hydrochloric acid would be quite happy to form Copper Chloride. It might need to be heated. How is Copper Hydroxide formed? It wuld need a base wouldnt it?

Stuart

#12 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 10:24 AM

Well, copper hydroxide is usually formed from copper oxide + water, although I failed to see this reaction there. If it is of any help, here is some formulations of copper oxychloride courtesy of Tom Perigrin:

3CuO.CuCl2.3H2O (Lancaster)
Cu2(OH)2Cl or CuCl2.3Cu(OH)3 or 3CuO.CuCl2.4H2O (Chemical Rubber Company Handbook)

Edited by BigG, 13 November 2003 - 10:27 AM.

#13 lord_dranack

lord_dranack

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 10:40 AM

The only mention of it i found in my books i think was that it is formed if you try and make the anhydrous chloride using acid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users