12 replies to this topic

#1 Ted93

Ted93

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:04 AM

Hi,

I'm currently doing my A levels and am taking maths, chemistry and physics. I am really interested in the practical side of physical special effects/pyrotechnics as well as the chemistry/physics side.
I would like to do a degree in Physical Special Effects or Pyrotechnics or something closely linked to them.
I know about the degree on offer at the University of Bolton but I've heard that that one isn't very ideal for pyrotechnics.

Does anyone know of degrees that study pyrotechnics/physical special effects?

Thanks

#2 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:44 AM

Hi,

I'm currently doing my A levels and am taking maths, chemistry and physics. I am really interested in the practical side of physical special effects/pyrotechnics as well as the chemistry/physics side.
I would like to do a degree in Physical Special Effects or Pyrotechnics or something closely linked to them.
I know about the degree on offer at the University of Bolton but I've heard that that one isn't very ideal for pyrotechnics.

Does anyone know of degrees that study pyrotechnics/physical special effects?

Thanks

What career/job would you like to do?

#3 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:42 PM

Academic degree level SFX will concentrate very much on CGI and digital sfx. Pyro is in reality the last resort of sfx because of the cost and hazards involved that may not be insurable. If you do want to do digital computer sfx then go to uni, if you want to do pyro sfx join the army, possibly the engineers, do EOD, get all the tickets and permissions (acquire and keep etc) then do some HE SFX that your connections allow.

First of all start by keeping totally clear of all possibility of any convictions for anything! What you do in a mis spent youth can and will come back to haunt you when you apply for approvals and licences later.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#4 Ted93

Ted93

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:37 AM

I would like to be a pyrotechnician hopefully.

Thanks for the information how to get into that career. Just a quick question, do you think that Maths, Chemistry and Physics are appropriate A Levels for a degree in Digital SFX?

Also thanks for the advice of staying out of trouble. Posted Image

#5 StephF

StephF

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:24 AM

I would like to be a pyrotechnician hopefully.

Thanks for the information how to get into that career. Just a quick question, do you think that Maths, Chemistry and Physics are appropriate A Levels for a degree in Digital SFX?

Also thanks for the advice of staying out of trouble. Posted Image

I would say that Maths & Sciences at good enough grades would be ideal for such courses.

Alternatively Leeds Univ run a MEng in Fire & Explosion Science, great for any budding pyromaniacs or pyrotechnicians who want to have fun.

#6 scjb

scjb

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:43 AM

I would say that Maths & Sciences at good enough grades would be ideal for such courses.

Alternatively Leeds Univ run a MEng in Fire & Explosion Science, great for any budding pyromaniacs or pyrotechnicians who want to have fun.

Back in the day, Leeds also ran an BEng in Fire Engineering. This is going back some 15 years now, but might be worth a check.

#7 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:10 AM

Vast proportions of today's SFX is done by or with computers. You must keep aware of the computer image manipulation skills needed. I'd be wary that "fire engineering" courses may be more into disaster simulation for casualty and damage assessment and reduction. Certainly it is relatively simple for architects to computer model a building and it's occupants and see how evacuation may work.

#8 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:42 AM

If you want to go into CGI then maths, physics and biology play key rolls. Me, I'm old school, I prefer the way they used to do things, Animatronics 'Stop-Go' animation etc

Explosive wise, maths, chemistry and physics. Go on explosive SFX courses for TV and film
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#9 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:37 AM

All pyro and explosives work requires you to be 18 years old by law before you can handle explosives. Looking now for the right contacts, to be in the right place when you are 18 is the best that you can do.

#10 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:05 PM

Do you need to get a degree in order to become a pyrotechnition, i am a bricky by trade so this isnt anything to do with the scene.How easy would it be or indeed how hard to get to be part of a display team? I have voulenteered to help cooperman for experience good chap he is, am i going down the right road ? sorry for the thread hijack but it does have relevance to persueing a career in pyro. Jay

#11 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:41 PM

There is NO need for a degree to be a pyro!

If you want to learn everything as fast as possible a course is a good thing. If you can get real experience it will teach you almost all you need to know, but getting experience needs contacts and getting contacts needs the sort of contacts you get at college or Uni.

#12 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:03 PM

"I would like to be a pyrotechnician hopefully".

You might want to consider training courses run by the following associations/groups;

The Association of Stage Pyrotechnics
British Pyrotechnic Association
UKPS (illuminate Consult)

Edited by crystal palace fireworks, 29 September 2009 - 05:05 PM.

#13 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:13 PM

"I would like to be a pyrotechnician hopefully".

You might want to consider training courses run by the following associations/groups;

The Association of Stage Pyrotechnics
British Pyrotechnic Association
UKPS (illuminate Consult)

I read a thread before on a course UKPS has just ran but ime too late and missed out, any ideas on when the next one will be as i would defo be attending.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users