17 replies to this topic

#16 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:51 AM

Balsa is the most powerful charcoal I have ever used. If you can find a supply of bulk balsa boards like I have (a.k.a rough edges with no use for modelling) it'll still cost you about $14 a pound to make. Though, I will give cork a shot as I do have pure cork wood, and I will tell you the results.

#17 goldmagnet

goldmagnet

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:39 PM

Balsa is the most powerful charcoal I have ever used. If you can find a supply of bulk balsa boards like I have (a.k.a rough edges with no use for modelling) it'll still cost you about $14 a pound to make. Though, I will give cork a shot as I do have pure cork wood, and I will tell you the results.

Hello there

I have not yet introduced myself, I will do so shortly, in the meantime I thought it might be of interest to the board to know that cork charcoal has great asorbancy and was used as a medium for Oxyliquits type explosives. This info might help when searching for more help online.

If this was common knowledge please excuse my post.

Regards

GM

#18 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:01 AM

Upon burning a cork I found it to expand a lot in the presence of heat so if anyone does cook this stuff then do not pack your cooking retort to the top as it may push the lid off or explode. Though once burnt it is the most unusual charcoal that is still very much spongy like the original cork lol. I am going to buy a cork roll, the stuff used for model floors or underlay to try it out.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users