• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:04 PM

You won't often find me in this neck of the woods, but I thought peeps might like to see the stuff I've bought from Kimbolton for my backgarden display.

I've been too busy/lazy to make all my own stuff this year and most of the supermarket stuff looked so pityful that I thought I would give the Rev a chance.

I've got the Minuet mixed pack at something like £120 delivered. I'll let you know how it fired after Nov 5th, but by the look of it I have a bargain. Good variety, well made interesting looking and not just tiny tubes in empty boxes...
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
e.jpg
f.jpg

Edited by phildunford, 15 October 2009 - 09:06 PM.

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#2 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:29 PM

Yeah- it's a very strong brand. I'd be interesting to know what you think of the Rockets- I'm yet to try any of Kimbolton's recent rocket range.

And yes, you will be getting a much better quality selection box from Kimbolton than from the s*permarkets!

I've nothing against supermarket selection boxes, but at best they look... very average.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#3 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:39 PM

Nice selection there. Those micro mines are very cool indeed. Especially when you have a few packs fast-fused together without the fountains! - I'm not a fan of the whistle to mine effect...

There's something really nice about getting a beangal flare in a selection box. Can't think about any other brand that still does that. IIRC there's also a nice charcoal fountain in there with the most amazing indigo blue microstars!

I too would be intersted to hear about those rockets.

#4 dogsbody

dogsbody

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:40 AM

Got some Kimbolton bits for my display this year, not used them before (nor any of my suppliers this year - mostly recomendations from here) so will let peeps know afterwards as well, will try and post some pics too

#5 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:23 AM

Are all of Kimboltons commercial range made in China now?
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#6 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:36 AM

Are all of Kimboltons commercial range made in China now?

Sadly I believe this is the case. However, they are to Kimboltons spec. eg, the volcanos appear to be solidly filled etc (not a grotty fountain in volcano shaped case). And there is a good selection with some unusual items such as 'Jumping Jelly Beans'.

The proof will be in the firing! - Roll on Nov 5th!
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#7 parachutelight

parachutelight

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:33 PM

I have just bought three of the Magellan Rockets from the Kimbolton range,these look really good on the video i have seen with a starburst followed by a ring of flash reports or whistles,they remind me of the old Shrapnel rockets which were always a personal favourite of mine.I have been using Kimbolton for years but have found that the effects have changed over the years like everyone else's and not always for the better.I have just acquired a number of old spec. Cube fireworks and these look really good on video,i am really looking forward to firing these!

#8 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:13 PM

Sadly I believe this is the case. However, they are to Kimboltons spec. eg, the volcanos appear to be solidly filled etc (not a grotty fountain in volcano shaped case). And there is a good selection with some unusual items such as 'Jumping Jelly Beans'.

The proof will be in the firing! - Roll on Nov 5th!

I think some of the fountains in their range (but not in that specific selection) are still British- the 19mm fountain, bengal blinker etc.

In all honesty, you do get a much more varied mixed effect from the Chinese Jumpin Jelly Beans etc.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#9 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:37 PM

Not sure about the blinkers but I'm fairly certain their 19-24mm fountains are no longer British-made. They're certainly not nearly as energetic as they used to be anyway.

#10 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

You won't often find me in this neck of the woods, but I thought peeps might like to see the stuff I've bought from Kimbolton for my backgarden display.

I've been too busy/lazy to make all my own stuff this year and most of the supermarket stuff looked so pityful that I thought I would give the Rev a chance.

I've got the Minuet mixed pack at something like £120 delivered. I'll let you know how it fired after Nov 5th, but by the look of it I have a bargain. Good variety, well made interesting looking and not just tiny tubes in empty boxes...
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
e.jpg
f.jpg

I am sure you will not be dissapointed Phil,

i have had a few of the revs display packs and i have allways been very happy,this year i have the club pack to go with a few other bits and pieces.

#11 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:55 PM

These chinese seem to get away with using less energetic mixes so that less comp can be used with a longer duration. For instance check the height of the spray for the choke sizes used and you will see it doesn't go high at all yet my fountains with the same choke size and tube O.D and I.D more than triple the chinese consumers ones with some on the odd occasion reaching near to the height of my house. What exactly does the jumping jelly bean fountain do?

#12 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:31 PM

What exactly does the jumping jelly bean fountain do?

No idea! But it was firework of the year a couple of years ago and reputed to be good.

Anyone seen one / got a film?
Posted Imagethegreenman

#13 dogsbody

dogsbody

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

did look at a clip on utube a while ago

#14 Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:13 PM

Gigantic Crab!!! says: Jumping Jelly Beans is basically a fountain but with blobs of colour firing out instead of a stream of sparks. It's quite different (it's nitrocellulose based) but rather good. Colours are so bright it even looks good in daylight.

#15 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:19 PM

Ah cool so basically like using a no spark base mix and adding thousands of coloured micro stars to it much like when adding dragon eggs I assume.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users