30 replies to this topic

#16 Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:27 PM

Gigantic Crab!!! has no idea as his knowledge of chemistry has not been put to the test for several decades. It's a multi-tube firework firing pairs of colours with the last tube firing a mixture of all of them, if I remember correctly.

#17 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:28 PM

No idea! But it was firework of the year a couple of years ago and reputed to be good.

Anyone seen one / got a film?

there a clip just here LINK

Edited by PyroPDC, 19 October 2009 - 09:30 PM.

#18 DavePlym

DavePlym

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:09 PM

Got my first Kimbolton stuff :-
Cyclop Rocket Selection @ £17.49
Glittering Gemstones £6.50
Mutant Space Cherries £7.00
Crystal Butterflies £11.00
Ducks Playing in the Autumn Leaves £13.00
Lightning over the Citrus Grove £19.00
Howling Phantoms £25.00

Supposedly half price, hope they're good as I'll keep them for my birthday next May
you whistle it, i'll hummer it

#19 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:09 PM

some of those are half price, some are normal RRP :)

#20 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:06 PM

Well, the Rev did not dissapoint!

Really superb selection. One or two of the smaller items and one of the 'fountain cakes' was window dressed which is a shame - no need from such a manufacturer...

Very varied and original effects.

Jumping Jelly beans - never seen anything like that (and I've seen quite a lot). The very bright (NC) stars almost plop out, with a very odd flight - lovely colours.

Will certainly buy something like this again and would recomend to anyone for a back garden display.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#21 MiniChris

MiniChris

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:51 PM

I had a jumping Jelly Beans, was pretty good nice blobs of colour made a change from all the other fountains.

Was annoyed that one of my 16 shotters was sevearly window dressed -

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:15 PM

May be window dressing, but it is now necessary to get the fireworks into the cat2 and cat3 stability tests. The old single tubes would now be cat3 or more due to their inability to stand un aided. Making a group in a big box means that they are more stable hence could be cat2 other things permitting.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#23 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:17 PM

I think you may find that they are designed that way to get the Cat2 status.

These pieces USED to be square and were Cat3, they then went circular (with the hole in the centre) and they were then classified as Cat2

#24 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:25 PM

Not sure about the blinkers but I'm fairly certain their 19-24mm fountains are no longer British-made. They're certainly not nearly as energetic as they used to be anyway.

Can't say for sure if Kimbolton still make their own gerbes, but they did tone down the mix in them some time ago, as the occasional one blew up and as some were sold as cat 3 this was not good.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#25 Azlar

Azlar

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:24 PM

Seems most of the Kimbolton fireworks are window dressed, I got suckered into buying a load form someone who recommended them to me after I travelled to Warrington.

Worse £80 I ever spent, Kimbolton Platinum, a pack of rockets, a wishy washy kimbolton cake and a candle.

The so called cakes were 60% concrete base, 20% tubes and 20% actual firework.

The last time I ever buy that shite.

Its a real shame too, I travelled all that way for some so called good advice and got sold absolute crap.

Best of it was, after the great deal 'not' ( knocking £8 of an £88 shop price purchase ) he asked me to give good forum feedback saying he would throw a pack of sparklers in.

Seems I chose 'poorly'

#26 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:43 PM

a wishy washy kimbolton cake and a candle.

What was the cake?

Kimbolton do some lovely stuff- cute little British made fountains, and Jumpin Jelly Beans is great- and their big bore candles I have heard good things about. Their Cat 2 garden cakes, mention earlier in this thread, are top notch, and their conic fountains (various sizes) are all impressive and great value.

However, some of the mid range (£20-£30) cakes in the range I found to be a bit so-so. Not bad, but not great either- although to some extent, of course, this is personal taste.

Edited by David, 08 November 2009 - 08:44 PM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#27 sjc

sjc

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:23 PM

Seems most of the Kimbolton fireworks are window dressed, I got suckered into buying a load form someone who recommended them to me after I travelled to Warrington.

Worse £80 I ever spent, Kimbolton Platinum, a pack of rockets, a wishy washy kimbolton cake and a candle.

The so called cakes were 60% concrete base, 20% tubes and 20% actual firework.

The last time I ever buy that shite.

Its a real shame too, I travelled all that way for some so called good advice and got sold absolute crap.

Best of it was, after the great deal 'not' ( knocking £8 of an £88 shop price purchase ) he asked me to give good forum feedback saying he would throw a pack of sparklers in.

Seems I chose 'poorly'

You would have been better going to JTF and getting their Brightstar range (ie. £125rrp firework for £40) rather than an £80 selection box from Kimbolton

#28 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:25 PM

Seems most of the Kimbolton fireworks are window dressed,

Well, did not see yours, so can't state an opinion, in my case very few were window dressed and the one that seemed worse was indeed the 16 shotter with the hole in the middle. Arthurs explaination of this makes perfect sense and anything that keeps the CAT low and the performance reasonable has to be a good thing.

All in all I was very satisfied with kimbolton and will be buying again next year. This was after all a cat 2 display in a garden that does not even have 5 meter clearance.

If you want some more poke, there is loads of good cat 3 out there which anyone can buy, but it would have taken out my fences -Posted Image

You pays your money and you takes you choice I guess...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#29 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:25 PM

You would have been better going to JTF and getting their Brightstar range (ie. £125rrp firework for £40) rather than an £80 selection box from Kimbolton

Yes- a single "big" selection boxes isn't always the best choice.

Several single, cheaper cakes etc would have perhaps done better.

It pains me to say this, and I will fall on my sword after doing so, but JTF's stuff (under £10, their price) that I saw this year was actually dead good.

Edited by David, 08 November 2009 - 09:30 PM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#30 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:33 PM

Yes- a single "big" selection boxes isn't always the best choice.

The one I got was a selection box plus a load of additional stuff for about £100 as you can see from the pics at the start of the thread - pretty good value I thought...

Also I think it's important to try and support Kimbolton. Many of us know Ron and his staff and the firework world would be a poorer place without his company.
Posted Imagethegreenman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users